2. The Only Exception [Bleach]

Dedicated to Summersword~ I don't know if you like this pairing or not (I'm pretty sure you like Bleach) but let this serve as an apology for not being able to write your birthday gift! I really am so sorry!!! I'm a bad person for forgetting! I know! But if it makes you feel better, I worked pretty hard on this one...

Title: The Only Exception

Fandom: Bleach

Character/s: Ichimaru Gin, Matsumoto Rangiku [Pairing: GinRan]

Genre: Angst/Romance

Notes: Some of Gin’s thoughts here are taken from the anime/manga itself, which obviously means that I’m disclaiming them.

I kinda had a hard time with this… it’s been a while since I last watched this entire episode… but I don’t want to get the DVD and watch it and then cry all over again. :/

You can imagine the droplets of blood that spill from my open wound, the blood of a snake, a traitor, a murderer.

Tell me, what do you think of me?

 Should I care?

Would you want me to?

I reach out with what is left of my thin arm, reaching for the Hōgyoku in his chest.

Closer, it’s within my reach now.

I can imagine your smiling face. That’s not very surprising, isn’t it? That always seems to happen when one remembers the person they love.

That’s right.

It will all be over soon. There’s no need to cry, Rangiku. I will fix everything for us…

He grips my wrist and rips my arm off without further notice.

What’s going to happen now?

He impales my chest with his blade, and I’m left with only a few thoughts.

Is it really surprising that my thoughts only consist of you? Your face, snow… that night when I left you, of course you remember that, don’t you? We were basically inseparable, fighting our way through the cold nights, with only each other as a source of warmth. It was our own definition of sweet suffering. It was cold, but with each other, we managed to live.

Is it strange to say that I cherished those nights?

Back then, no such heartache existed, no pain, no betrayal.

And yet, I must’ve given all of that to you… didn’t I?

Did you ever expect that? You probably did… after all, you were quite the innocent girl back then… probably even until now.

Before I even met you, my childhood was dyed in black, white and red. All I can remember are the droplets of crimson staining the cold, thick snow during the seemingly-endless winter.

I became a shinigami to change things for you… that’s what I told you. I told you that so you wouldn’t have to cry anymore… but what did I do? I made you cry…

“Gin!”

My body is lifeless as you descend towards me.

Is it funny that you look like an angel right now…and I, a sinner?

Rangiku?

You shout my name once more… what is this pang in my heart? Is it even beating anymore?

Your face… I never expected to see such an expression. You look so sad… so devastated… I still mean that much to you? After all that I did? After all the pain I caused you… did you still believe in me?

If you were to turn into a snake tomorrow and begin devouring humans, and from the same mouth you started devouring humans, you cried out to me “I love you,” would I still be able to say “I love you” the same way I do today?

But it didn’t work… in the end, I couldn’t take back the things that had been taken from you.

I just made you cry again too…

GIN!”

Yeah…

Now I really am glad… that I apologized… in advance.