Chapter 12

Nahi

It’s been decided for us since we have vacillated.  Akuli, Myria, and I are all leaving Nahi City in only a matter of hours, accompanied by a harasha appointed by the intercessors.  I, of course, have already been condemned and as such have no pity on myself.  However I feel sorry for Akuli and Myria, for by their very association with me they are shouldering condemnation as well – today is most likely their last day in this grand city for the rest of their lives.

Before the first light of morning we will disappear, slipping through the gates amidst the night fog, three lost souls in search of something just as elusive – the cause of the Still. 

     Many things happened today, and I will spend whatever time I have left tonight writing them down.  Of course I will take these parchments, quills, and vials of ink with me (I plan on continuing to write as I travel) but it only seems appropriate that I finish these events tonight, closing this chapter of my journal with the last closing of my bedroom chamber door.     

Early this morning I was confronted by an intercessor who I had been told was waiting for me.  I could tell he was one of the high priests even before we met, since he was dressed in the same manner as Haarth, although he was shorter.  There is a large fountain just outside the palace gates and he was sitting there on a bench in front of it.  His servant was by his side, holding up a large matching red umbrella framed in bamboo, sheltering him from the rain.

     Behind the decorative iron bars of the palace gates I could see the intercessor stand up as I approached, blatantly dissecting me with his eyes through the gaps there.

     “Your golden hair,” he called out.  “Is that its natural color?  The way it was when you were a child?”

     “Yes,” I said, thrown off by the odd question.  I ran my hand through my wet hair, wringing out the rain, noticing that it had grown longer during my time here.  Gone was the short Hunion courier cut of old.

     “I wish to speak to you,” he said.  “Will you let me in?”

     I nodded, asking the silent guard standing there to open the gate.  He did so without hesitation and I walked towards the approaching pair.

     “We will take shelter,” he said harshly once through the gate, turning away from me and heading towards a building behind me, audaciously expecting me to follow behind him (which of course I did).  Not because I was driven by fear or some form of respect, but an odd curiosity instead.  After all, he was the only other intercessor besides Haarth which I had ever seen and I wanted to know what was on his mind.

     The first structure ahead of us was the east wing of the palace and the intercessor’s servant opened up the door for him while still extending the umbrella.

     Before entering though, the intercessor peered into the interior darkness and then whispered something to his servant, who in turn shook his head and then whispered back a reply.  Exhaling sharply, the intercessor then looked back at me.  “What is this building called?” he asked sharply.

     “It’s the east wing of the palace.”

“What’s in the east wing?”

“It will be fine - there are tables and chairs inside for us to sit on,” I said quickly.  I was standing in the rain, completely sodden, and wanted to enter.

     “Yes, I know,” he snapped.  “Are there mirrors?”

“What?” I asked, thrown off by the odd question.