XVIII. New

Hope was not comfortable not knowing where Devin was taking them.

But if she hopped out of the car, what would happen then?

Whoever killed Carl was very much capable and it was only right to assume that the killer was after them. It was better to think that the perpetrator had already found out that she and Samantha were gone and had discovered Carl's dead body. It was better to think that someone was out to kill them than to seat back and relax and not wake up.

"Why are we stopping?" Hope asked in alarm when Devin pulled into a parking lot of a small souvenir shop.

He shifted in his seat and looked at her without a hint of fear as she lifted the knife toward him. "Relax." His gaze momentarily landed on Samantha's sleeping form beside Hope. "The safe house I have does not have anything to offer to women," he told her when his gaze went back to her. "I never imagined I would be stupid enough to drag two women in the safest place in the world for me. But now that I have, I have to make sure that you two don't go walking around my house with that stinking dress of yours. Stay in the car."  He then turned around to face the windshield, grabbed the keys, saying, "And don't attempt to pick the car and escape. You know I am the safest company right now no matter how you think I am not."

Hope did not say a word and watched him climb out of the car and into the shop. A man was already closing the store, but Devin stopped him and talked him into accepting one last customer. 

As the man reluctantly let Devin into the store, Hope sighed and looked down at Samantha. 

The child would need a lot of professional help once she got home. The nightmare she had experienced may be nothing compared to what Hope and Patty had, but it was enough to ruin the rest of her childhood. She just hoped that Samantha would be strong enough to forget everything. 

Hope let the quiet of the night calm her senses and she leaned against the headrest and closed her eyes. Trusting Devin was a very difficult task. 

But she had been through hell for the past ten years to know that she could accept whatever misfortune awaited her in his safe house. 

They had a lot of questions and very few answers.

*****

Devin grabbed whatever he thought was needed by his two passengers. He grabbed slippers and he didn't bother to check if the sizes were right. Then he grabbed a few undergarments that had logos of the place they were in, spending a few moments to consider the sizes. Taking a handful of shirts and shorts with garters, he went to the counter and paid in cash. 

He had to save the little cash he had at hand from now on. Cards were not part of the plan and he didn't have one. Never had one since he spent his life in hiding. 

Devin kept his head bowed down the whole time he was in the store. His enemies had a lot of connections and it was easy to track him down now that he was out of Burton's protection. He didn't check if the store had any surveillance cameras, but he assumed it had. 

The man behind the counter threw everything inside a plastic bag and handed him his change. 

Devin was out of the store in seconds.