Chapter Eleven

Will's body buzzed like he'd downed too much Red Bull as he climbed the front steps of Shelby's porch. He'd been alone with Skye before, but this felt strangely official. Taking a deep breath, he raised his fist to knock, but the door swung open before his hand could connect. A fierce-looking Shel stood with arms crossed, blocking the doorway.

"William." Her face was uncharacteristically stern, and she cocked an eyebrow. "State your intentions."

"Uh... I'm here to see Skye."

Her blond curls shook as she started to cackle. "Oh my god, you looked so nervous, I couldn't resist teasing you. C'mon in. Skye will be down in a minute."

Inside, he spied Josh sunk low and comfy on the couch in his signature sprawl, raising his hand in a lazy wave.

"Yo, bro. Shel and I are heading to the movies later. What are you and Skye up to tonight? A classic match of Pokémon perhaps?" Josh snickered.

"Actually, we're going mini-putting at Luke's, and then out for ice cream." Will shot him a dirty look. Dick.

"Ah. A throw-back date," Josh smiled sweetly. "Nicely done."

"I thought so." A voice trailed down from the top of the curving stairway. Skye walked down the tall steps in a tank and skirt, dark hair shining under the light, her long legs a distraction. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, she squeezed Will's arm. "Hey."

Why had he never noticed her perfume before? He felt a little lightheaded.

"Hey back." He had a sneaking suspicion his smile had turned goofy.

"Hey-o!" Josh and Shelby cried in unison, and Will made a mental note to seek revenge on their teasing asses at a later date.

"Seriously, you two." Skye rolled her eyes and gave them the finger. "Don't you have somewhere to go?"

"As a matter of fact, we do. Shelby, my love." Josh extended his hand. "Let's blow this popsicle stand, shall we?"

"We shall." Shelby giggled as she took his hand, then stood to grab her keys, checking that Skye had a set of her own. Their parents were out at the lake for the night, and as nice as Bridget seemed, Will was happy to avoid an awkward parental conversation on his first date with her daughter. Locking up, Shel blew a kiss, and Josh tipped his ball cap, bowing low, before they took off.

Will and Skye climbed into his mom's car and as she leaned over to buckle up, he noticed a few strands of hair slipping out from behind her ear. Before he could stop himself, he reached up and gently tucked the soft wisps back into place. His fingertips tingled as they brushed the velvet skin behind her ear. Skye's 1 flared as their eyes met, and they sat frozen in place for a second before she cleared her throat and broke the spell.

"So, uh, tell me again where we're going?" She looked at her hands in her lap as a pink blush rose up her neck and bloomed on her cheeks.

Will let out a breath, turned the key in the ignition and pulled out from the curb. "We're going to Luke's. Luke's Mini-Putt to be exact. It's like a summer tradition in Reese, and that's half the fun. The other half of the fun comes when I kick your ass, of course." He grinned, hit the gas, and they zipped down Reese's sunlit streets.

Skye turned the radio up and opened the window so her hair whipped around her face as she lip-synched to the Top 40. Soon, she was dancing in her seat and laughing like a gorgeous maniac. Despite her 1, she radiated life. Her energy was contagious, and Will felt the invisible string tugging him closer to her again, growing stronger like they were somehow connected. It was hard for him to believe they'd only known each other for a month.