Chapter Two

"Will, honey, please remember to take the garbage out on Friday mornings, okay? I don't want my house to turn into a dump while we're away."

His mother's hands were on her slight hips, blue eyes trained on his face, the 2 in her left pupil shining silver-bright. Whip-smart and small in stature, with a heart the size of the moon, she meant business when it came to avoiding a mess.

"The garbage schedule's on the fridge, you sent me a text about it and put it on the bulletin board in my room. I'm pretty sure I've got this." He smirked at her, then turned back to playing with his phone.

"I'm going to miss your sarcastic face." Her expression softened. "If my manuscript weren't almost due, I wouldn't be away so long. I can't believe we only have two summers until you're off to college; where has the time gone?"

She sighed and wrapped her arms around her son's shoulders, squeezing him like her life depended on it. "I wish my rose beds could wait."

Shaking his head with a smile, Will patted his mother's arm. "It's only a few weeks, Mom, and you're barely half an hour away. Besides, you said your agent wants you to get these chapters done, right?"

Will's mom was the author of a popular garden series that had exceeded her publisher's expectations. Her latest volume was about wildflowers, so she'd planted a test garden at the family's cottage by the lake. She and Will's dad would stay there while she tended her plants and finished her book.

Will's father planted a soft kiss on the top of his wife's head and took her hand, pulling her into his arms. Will had inherited his dad's height and dark hair. "I hate to break it to you, Ellen, but Will's a big boy now, and our trip's probably the highlight of his summer. Some space at this age is healthy; you want him to be well adjusted, don't you?" He winked at Will.  

Narrowing her eyes, Will's mom playfully swatted her husband away. "Save the psychology-speak for your students, Ben. I'm well aware Will's looking forward to these next few weeks." She raised an eyebrow and shot her son a stern look. "Just don't forget garbage day while we're gone."

While his parents squabbled over last minute odds and ends, Will ate a sandwich and let his attention stray. Through the open window, he smelled freshly mowed grass. The sound of faint laughter drifted into the kitchen, prompting him to crane his neck and peer outside. Some boys were playing catch in the neighbor's yard, and Will's eyes flicked toward the tallest of the three as he whooped for joy when his curveball whizzed past the catcher's glove. The boy wore his ball cap backward, and a mess of hair spilled out onto his forehead through the gap where the hat fastened. His Yankees jersey appeared well-loved, and his smile was contagious.

He looks like Alex.

Will inhaled sharply, and a piece of bread went down his throat the wrong way. Dropping his sandwich, his windpipe constricted as he gasped and coughed.             
"Will, are you okay? Quick, Ben, get me some water." His mom rushed to pat him on the back, urging him to drink.

Will's fingers shook as he took the glass from her hand.

"Honey. What's wrong?"

Sighing, he pointed out the window and quickly looked away.

Will's mother followed his finger's path with her eyes. "Oh." Her voice was barely a whisper as she smoothed the dark hair off his forehead, placing a tender kiss on his cheek.                                    

"I'm fine." The hurt never seemed to leave him completely, but at least it ached less than it did before. He was trying to learn how to live with an Alex-sized hole in his heart, but it didn't mean he liked it, and it didn't mean he'd accept it. Not really. Not ever. He closed his eyes for a second, just listening to the boys play.