Chapter 1

"Laura!!" my younger brother, Greg, says.

"Laur, are you awake?"

He walks into my bedroom and sees me laying on my bed with a book in my hand.

"Laura, I made breakfast. Come downstairs."

I get up and follow my brother down the stairs.

My name is Laura Marano and I'm 21 years old. I haven't left my house since I was 18. Both of my parents and my sister died in a fire when I was 17. My brother and I were the only ones that survived the fire. After that, I kind of fell into a depression and I didn't want to see, or talk to anyone who wasn't my brother. My brother, Greg, is 14 and he takes care of me. He makes me breakfast in the morning, goes to school, and on the way back from school he picks up dry cleaning and groceries.

I walk into the kitchen and see some eggs, bacon, and toast on a plate on the kitchen counter. I sit in front of it and start eating.

"Thanks, Greg." I say, taking a bite of bacon.

"No problem, Laur." he replies, sitting in front of me.

I look at the clock, 9:15am.

"Greg, you're an hour late for school!" I say. For him, school starts at 8:00.

"Laura... there's no school for the next 4 days. It's Thanksgiving break, remember, I told you yesterday."

"Oh, yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot."

"It's okay... Listen, I have an idea."

I look at him, confused, "What?"

"You should come with me to the grocery store."

I drop my fork on the table and look at my brother like he's crazy, "Are you serious?"

"Yes, it's about time you got outside this stupid old house."

I can't believe he's saying this. I can't believe he's actually telling me to go outside.

"No way, Greg, I'm not doing that."

"Come on, Laura, please? You really need to get outside."

"No."

"Please?"

Our conversation lasts for about twenty minutes before I finally say, "Fine. I'll go."

"Yes! Come on, let's get in the car." I watch my brother run out the door and jump into the car. The car that my parents had driven before they... yeah...

I walk towards the door slowly and grab the car keys on the way. I open the door slightly and I feel fresh air hit my face.

I take my first step out the front door. My first step out the door in 3 years.

I close and lock the front door behind me and walk to the car. I see Greg in there with a huge smile on his face. He's been trying for years to get me to go outside. I step into the car and put the key in the ignition. I hope I didn't forget how to drive.

I pull out the driveway and start heading to the grocery store.

~

A.N.  I know it took me forever to publish the first chapter, but I hope you like it anyway!!

Comment, vote, and follow!! :)