Chapter Two

"Lana, what do you think if I was to become a knight?" Brennah wan't sure what the child would think but she asked anyway. Lana looked at Brennah and said "why do you want to be a knight?"

"You see if I did not enter the games at the fall festival I would have to marry some one I don't know or even care for, he could be mean and hateful."

"I know the best knight in the world. He makes all the best swords in the kingdom now." Lana said as she found left overs on a try that the maids have not picked up from that morning.

"Can you take me to him? I would like to know if he could train me."

Lana didn't know if Brennah was telling the truth or not. "How about this, I'll go to him and ask him first and see what he says and come back and tell you." Lana knew the knight and he hated people. Thought they were all the same. Only thinking of them self and not others. He told story's of things he went through when he was enlisted to fight the kings war. Brennah looked at the child, "I know that if I could fight for my on hand then I could be sure that the man that I do marry also has the people in mind."

"You do not have to tell me princess I know you live others. I have seen you with the other children and you come to the villages and help when you can. And I know what happens when you do not come for weeks." Lana liked Brennah. Brenah thought no one knew what went on in her life. This child could see through her smiles and laughs. "So you will talk with him?" "Yes. But I am tired could it wait till the morrow?" Brennah walked to the bed pulled back the covers and Lana crawled in to the bed and in no time the child was asleep.

"Sleep well child we have a kingdom to protect."

Brennah walked over to a chair that was close to the bed side sat down and watched Lana sleep for a time. When she grew tired she stood up and walked to her window looking down at the streets that went through the kingdom. A man clad in black was stopping the women in the streets asking them something. When he stopped one of her maids, she could see she nod her head and the point up to her room. The maid ran in an knocked on her door. "My lady that man in the street. He is looking for that child." She pointed to Lana who was still asleep.

"What did he want?"

"He wants her back, saying that she needs to be with he kind."

Brennah didn't know what to thunk if that. So she left the window and walked to the man that was still standing in the street. When he saw her he got in one knee. "My lady."

"Rise you do not have to knell to me. Lana is fine and is sleeping. Nothing will come if her while she is in my care."

"My lady, we were worried when we saw the guards take the body's of her parents to the graves."

"We?" She asked the man.

"Yes. My grandfather and I."

"She is happy thus far. Should you take that from her now when she has lost so much?" Brennah did not know where those words came from. But she would like to know.

"My lady, Lana would be safer with us."

"Why do you say that?"

"You do not know my lady?"

"Know what?"

"I do not think i should say."

"Say what? Spit it out." She demanded of him.

He looked at her knowing that she would get very upset if he told her the truth about the child.

"Well, I am waiting."

"I will let you be. But do ask your mother about the child she will know the answers you seek."

"What? I do not understand."

She said that to him as he left her standing in the street. First thing the morrow she would ask her mother what the man meant when he said the the child would be safer with them and not her. She watched him go. There was something in the way that he carried for the child that made her keep staring after him. She thought that if she was to marry she would want the father of her children to have the love in his as this man did for Lana. She walked back to her room to find the child was still sleeping soundly. There was time for questions but to day she would only think if this child.