a world turned upside down

» a world turned upside down «

SCOUT PAXTON AWOKE.

A gasping breath. A crack of lightning. A pair of eyes rapidly analyzing the setting surrounding her, revealing a concrete grounding and tall, engineered beams reaching up towards the sky. She quickly recognized where she was, and she pushed herself up, staring over the edge of Brooklyn Bridge and down into the water below her. She took a few steps closer to get a better look, noticing the cracks and damage to the road she stood on. Normally, the bridge was pretty well kept, yet now it was torn up and in bad condition.

She held onto one of the rusting beams for stability, knowing that without her powers, one misstep could lead to a plunging fall and a tragic death, this time without a resurrection. She wasn't going to bother testing whether or not she even still possessed her capabilities, deciding it wasn't worth running the risk. So instead, she simply stared out at the horizon, met with a Brooklyn skyline.

She was back home, yet something still felt completely wrong. Turning back around, she looked down at her own body, seeing that she was still wearing her suit, a piercing hole still hollowing out a section on her torso, dried blood filling the crevice. The wound reminded her of the battle she had endured, and reality began to set in of what had previously happened.

She couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't real. She didn't know who was gone and who wasn't, for she had been convinced she was about to die, she had wanted to die, yet here she stood. Deciding to figure out what was true for herself, she began to walk. One foot in front of the other, the only way she knew how to do it.

One step at a time carried her down the bridge and through the roads leading into the center of Brooklyn. She walked slowly, taking in her surroundings and carefully analyzing them. It felt as if no time had passed since she was taken, yet the city was in shambles. The streets were either completely torn up or littered in debris and trash. The atmosphere was quiet, something that was extremely unusual for New York.