Thirteen

A part of me was a tad bit jealous as I watched Aveline and Xander preparing to attend this gathering, which looked to me like a nice formal party. Xander was dressed in a black suit and tie within minutes while Aveline was still picking through her massive selection of dresses. She was giddy with excitement, flashing dresses at Xander and me occasionally for our input. Xander was standing next to the end of the bed where I sat in my pajamas. I assumed he didn't want to get any creases in his suit.

Yes, a little jealousy was just about right. I hadn't been anywhere except this room for days, possibly weeks at this point. Sure, the party was going to be on the first floor of the same building filled with vampires who no doubt wanted me dead, but a part of me wished it was a normal party that I was allowed to go to. And the Royals being hosted were actual regular Royalty or hell even celebrities. I could imagine getting dolled up and pretending I was a fancy princess dancing under sparkling chandeliers.

The truth of this matter, on the other hand, helped ease the jealousy.

I imagined in another world this would be similar to preparing for prom in high school. I never went to prom myself. I had been asked by this very quiet Asian boy named Kien, who I had thought was quite beautiful but had nothing in common with, but by then I had grown to believe all school related events were trivial and the pressure of sex was annoying. So no, I didn't lose my virginity like a lot of girls on prom night in a dinky hotel room.

I hadn't ever been a party girl, so I didn't lose my virginity in a drunken stupor. Nor did I lose it to a bad boy in the back of his 1967 Chevy Impala- though being a fan of a certain television program, I would not have complained. No, I was the type of girl who after two months and eight dates invited a man to my bed only to break off our relationship when things got too... committed. That was the extent of my "party life".

Aveline had settled on a black and fuchsia V-neck cocktail dress with a ruched chiffon skirt that showed off her ample cleavage and gorgeous legs. With her touch up on her short pixie cut and added diamond jewelry, along with her Jimmy Choos, she looked breathtakingly gorgeous and well made for a camera or catwalk. Xander seemed to agree because he strode to her gracefully before pulling her into an embrace, which she initially melted into before pushing him away.

"Don't rumple up my dress, my love," She teased him before making her way to me. "We'll be back by sunrise, but if something comes up the kitchen will bring some breakfast for you." She looked around the room slowly as if realizing something.

"Xander, we really do need to get a TV in here. Our little tiger has nothing to do while we're away," She sighed dramatically. I looked at Xander, who shrugged helplessly at me. Aveline exited the room in a hurry, loud and happily, with Xander following behind. He paused at the door, looking at the doorknob in deep thought. Perhaps he knew I was considering trying to escape during this party of theirs. I tried to keep my heartbeat steady just in case.

"Keep the door locked," Xander said deeply, looking at me with those blue-green eyes of his, "Just to be safe, okay?" I nodded quietly, wondering if he meant it as a double meaning towards me staying in the room. I was convinced he knew my sort-of plan. Don't panic. Xander left the room to chase after his mate. I released a breath of relief from my lungs, glad I had kept my cool under his stare. I really was terrible at keeping secrets and lying.

I leaned back on the bed and imagined I was home in my apartment. I missed my walls. It was a weird thing to miss, but I had so many posters of movies, bands, and poetic quotes. I was a fan of oldies music- The Beatles, Queen, Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Tracey Chapman, Foreigner, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Tears for Fears, Salt n Pepper, and etc. I got it from my mother, who would play 80s and earlier music on repeat while having me help her clean up the house. I loved all sorts of television programs, though my favorites were the sitcoms. I could even admit to watching every episode of Reba, What I Like About You, and yes even The Nanny. It was embarrassing.