Forty-Nine

I was in a horrified and shocked state. Aveline’s wordless wails echoed in my head; something I was sure I’d never be able to forget for the rest of my life. As I looked into Xander’s wild eyes, recognizing that rogue state, it clicked in my mind how familiar this event seemed compared to a previous conversation I had with him and Aveline. When it came to Xander or Aveline leaving their coterie to be with one another, Xander was the one to go through the process.

“When you’re in a coterie, you can feel everyone… And when you’re broken off, it hurts so much. Xander didn’t want me to feel it so he did it for me.”

The hunters hadn’t specified who would be required to break that Mate bond. Aveline could have, if only to save herself, but Xander of course would rather throw himself into a fire before requiring the woman he loved to do so. By breaking his mate bond to Aveline, he saved her from being rogue, but suffered the fate instead.

I knew, if I could get to him, there was a chance I could bring him back. Just as I had Corentine…

“It’s interesting. When a vampire loses their spiritual links, they go insane. You’d think it would make them more difficult to kill, but honestly… they’re reckless, wild, and their lack of reasoning makes them so much more easier to exterminate,” My father stated from behind me, sounding quiet and observant as though he were just some teacher explaining a science project. “The male broke the bond to save the female, but if I were to have him released right now, he would rip her apart without remorse. A vampire can only pretend to be human for so long. This is their true nature, Elysia.”

“My mother was right; you’re insane,” I hissed at him furiously, earning a sharp twist of my arm. I cried out as a sharp pain reverberated throughout my limbs unrelated to Zachary’s rough handling. The sheer amount of stress placed on my soul was causing my headache and illness to reach an all-time high. Before I realized what was happening, I had been twisted around with my back planted on the glass and Zachary’s hands on my face, tugging on my cheeks to open my mouth and peer into my eyes. I immediately began to fight against him. I didn’t want his concern.

“Oh, yes. Perfect timing,” Zachary mused quietly, patting my cheek as though I were some prized possession doing just what he liked. When he released me abruptly, I reached for my pulsing head, tears running down my cheek. “The drink took longer than expected to work, but it’s definitely making progress now. We can begin the next step.” It took me a moment to register what he was saying, but when I heard those words, I hesitated. What drink? I thought back to the concoction he had been feeding me since I first arrived.

“You’ve been… poisoning me?” I asked, horrified. I wasn’t sure why the idea was so appalling; being that he was obviously insane. I couldn’t even begin to understand how I didn’t see it in the first place. The type of insanity required to intensely torture living beings for years of your life and then poison your own flesh and blood should be something not so easily hidden. 

“Poisoning? Come now, Elysia. I don’t want you dead.” Zachary scolded me as though I were a child. Despite his reassurance, I didn’t feel any better. I glanced to the side, trying to make a guess as to how to get into the room Xander and Aveline were captured in. Then my thoughts were squandered by Zachary’s rough grip on my arm.

“Let go of me,” I snapped at him, crying out as another wave of pain pulsed through me. He ignored me, tugging me down the hallway away from my injured companions. I panicked the further I got away from Xander, fearing that I wouldn’t be able to find him again. I needed to pull him back from the darkness. I wasn’t sure how it worked, but it definitely wouldn’t if I wasn’t near him. I fought against Zachary’s grasp viciously, trying to summon whatever hunter strength I had within me.