Army

Isabella and Aiden looked startled in Eric's direction while the offender grinned at the pair.

Aiden gently lowered Isabella back to the ground all the while glaring at Eric. Isabella blushing spoke, "E-Er-Eric, how did you get here?"

"Well after I was so rudely left behind, I cried until I fell into a dreamless slumber that night and then set off behind you both the day after. Chap can I tell you, you ride fast, but I am here now! Aren't you glad to see me?"

Isabella smiled at his antics and jogged to him, "Yes I am glad to see you." Just as Aiden muttered a grouchy "No."

"Bella that mare of yours is looking pretty stiff why don't you take her for a ride and stretch those muscles," Eric played with her hair affectionately and Isabella nodded. She jogged over and mounted Storm.

"I am going to ride back and let James and his mother know where we were and that I am okay." She made sure to avoid eye contact with Aiden as she spurred Storm on.

Eric turned to Aiden with his eye brow raised. "So..."

"Don't Eric, you will be wasting your time." Aiden interrupted.

"Come on, Come on, Come on."

Aiden scratched the back of his neck, "I told her."

"Told her?"

"Told her about that wretched woman Eric!"

"Oh, your mother." Eric paused and then smiled so widely Aiden thought for sure his face would crack. "You've finally told her?! Aiden do you know what that--" Eric stopped abruptly.

"What?" Aiden looked at his friend.

"Nothing, let us head back as well so that Bella is not worried." He waited until Aiden mounted his horse, "You know mate, On my ride here I encountered the most interesting maiden outside of the castle walls..."

******

They set off again the next morning after Isabella promised to give her room to James upon their visit to the Gardian castle. The woman repeatedly reassured Isabella that Baldwin would be taken down, and she watched as the cleverly disguised group rode away.

Eric chattered happily, and Isabella avoided Aiden like he was a plague.

Days, weeks and land passed. Aiden became fed up with the silence. They stopped a little farther from the outskirts of Gardia, hidden by the forest. Isabella knew the knights' routine so she wanted to remain far enough away to not be spotted. She was thankful for the extra pair of armor she remembered to bring in case her disguise broke. The tunic she wore to cover her hair made her uncomfortable. The men wore scarves over their faces to conceal themselves as well.

Everyone helped set camp up. Eric yawned and went to bed as did the knights, leaving a wide awake Aiden and Isabella.

"Um, I will go keep watch." Isabella walked briskly to the other side of the pass.

That is the most she has said in days. Progress? Aiden thought.

Isabella, lost in her thoughts, jumped when Aiden spoke, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing. Everything. I don't know Aiden. About that day by the river..." Aiden eyebrow rose though she could not see it, "I apologize for my forwardness, I should not have--"

"Isabella," Aiden interrupted, "are you saying you regret it?"

"I just mean that 'twas highly improper of me to--"

"Have. you. any. regrets?" Aiden asked slowly.

"I--" Isabella speech halted. "No."

"Then no apologies." Aiden walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.