Godsend

Isabella wiped the sweat off of her brow as she studied the man in front of her. His usually black hair flashed blue in the dimming light of the day. His armor still shone in waning sun light. He stood taller than most men but not colossal.

Isabella understood why so many women of court considered the king's features attractive. She had witnessed the lustful looks on their faces and the greed that flashed in their eyes as they swept their predatory gazes across his kingly robes. The night after her beloved mother's funeral, she had overheard them speculating who the king would marry next. They laughed merrily as if her father was a grand sword that could be auctioned off in the market. Thankfully her father did not seem to show any woman interest following her mother's untimely passing, and not by a lack of trying. Those women sickened her, and yet she had to tolerate their presence in her home.

"Because that's what future queens do" she thought sarcastically.

Isabella, stuck in her thoughts, barely dodged her father, King William's, parry.

"Bella pay attention, the enemy would not hesitate to kill you. It's imperative that you stay on your toes during battle whether against me or anyone else. Am I clear young lady?" William reprimanded.

Isabella groaned internally at this but still nodded. "Yes Father."

William's hard demeanor fell, "Honey I never wanted you to have to train like this and endure such hard labor but since you insisted I have to be stern,' he touched her cheek, 'I cannot bear to lose you too."

Isabella nodded in understanding. "This is what I wanted, and I appreciate the fact that you've allowed me to train with you and the others. I can't just be weak and frilly like--"

"The other women of the court yes I understand, Bella" William knew that his daughter could go on for hours about the women of court. Though he shared some of her opinion, he was not in the mood to listen this time for he was rather tired. "Guards, please escort the princess to her room and have the maids prepare a bath for me in my chamber."

He kissed the top of Isabella's head and she grinned. "Go rest father, I shall look over dinner and then send for you."

William smiled, stretched and winced as his back cracked. "My dear, you are a godsend."