Chapter 13 Open to Suggestions

Chris was too shocked by the whole incident to speak. He was now flying through the skies holding Charles’ hand. Donald was flying next to them. Once he felt safe, Chris seemingly found his voice as they hurried towards Charles’ house. “Why do you think the Matchers let us go?” He tentatively asked Donald’s father.

            “I am almost certain it’s because they didn’t want to risk being injured or killed.” Charles replied.

            “Killed?” Chris repeated in a questioning tone.

            “Yes.”

            “I’m strong… but they are stronger.” Chris blurted out.

            “You give yourself too much credit young Beyonder. I am the reason they didn’t fight.”

            “You…How?”

            “Yes me, I am one of them.”

            “You’re a Matcher! How come I never knew this?” Donald butted in.

            “No, I am not a matcher, but I have awakened my spirit.”

            “Wow.” Chris’ mind was now spinning at this new revelation. “Wait if you awakened your spirit, how come they let you live…You broke the law didn’t you?”

            “The Matchers let me live, I was awakened before the law was made, when the Matchers were pure of heart. They believed I could be valuable to them. In exchange, I hid my true power and agreed to continue serving them and keep their secret. I believe the Matchers now feel threatened by my existence. I’m the reason they created the law…” Charles’ voice trailed off for a moment. “Look we have arrived.” Charles was now pointing to a house that Chris instinctive knew was his. Although Donald was unable to enter his body their link was still as strong as ever.

            “Thank you Master Charles for coming to save us. It was really brave to challenge the Matchers alone.”

            “Correction young Beyonder, I was alone but now we are two!” Charles’ replied

            The trio quickly rushed into the house closing the door behind them. “The Matchers and their friends will be here soon, our only hope is to flee to Earth.” Charles whispered as though he was talking to himself.

            “So why did we come here to do that?” Donald asked, knowing full well that his father could teleport them from anywhere.

            “I’m hoping that under the veil of the house they won’t be able to see us. Or at least our trail will be clouded. Quickly now!” Charles produced a feather, which Chris and Donald both grabbed. The world around Chris began to spin and eventually went black.

            Chris opened his eyes to find himself on a familiar street and from the clear blue sky and neat rows of houses, he could tell he was back on Earth. It didn’t take long for him to realize that they were outside of David’s house. “Wait, why did we come here?” Chris asked flustered.

            “This is the last place they will look.” Charles said with a rare smirk.

            “David won’t let us in. He said that we are beyond his help.” Chris pointed out.

            “Nonsense.” Charles walked up to the door and pressed the bell.

            An angel soon came to the door. After a moment, he pulled it back slightly. “I don’t know what business you have here Charles. Tell me why I shouldn’t turn you into the Matchers?”

Chris could see that the angel speaking was the red head who was in his room when he had returned from his inner spirit.

            “That is not your decision.” Charles quickly replied. “Let me speak with David. He is the keeper of this house.”

            “Fine.”

            A few moments later David appeared at the door. “Why did you come here Charles? You know that I can’t help you.” He whispered.

            “You once came to me and asked me for a favor. I am the reason you are keeper of this house. I am now asking you for a favor.”

            “You are asking for more than a favor. If I am found guilty of treason they will kill me along with you three.” David’s voice was now tense as if he was trying to keep it under control.

            “I know it is a lot to ask, but we only need a few days.”

            “The Matchers are going to be hunting you. It’s too big a risk. I’m sorry.” David slowly began to close the door. A look of concern was painted on his face.

            Before the door shut, Charles placed his hand on the door to stop it. “Please.” He pleaded.

            David’s face softened for a moment. “Two days is the best I can do. Quickly.” He pulled back the door and the three of them hurried in. “I’ll hide you in the basement, follow me.”        

            Chris watched as David pulled back a trap door that was covered by a rug. “In you go then.” David extended his hand inviting the three to descend into the darkness.

            Charles went first, followed by Chris and then Donald. When they made it down to the bottom of the small wooden staircase, they found themselves in a small chamber that was dimly lit by a chandelier with several of the bulbs missing or burnt out. Under the chandelier was a table with four chairs. Four cots rested beside each of the four walls, but aside from that, the chamber was baron including the walls.

            Charles sat down at the wooden table first, followed by Chris but Donald remained floating just above the ground. “So what’s the plan father?”

            “We must go to the academy and enlist the help of another.”

            “Who? Master Sanders?” Chris asked eagerly.

            “No. We will need Brenda and her Beyonder, Emily.”

            Chris perked up at the idea of reuniting with the two once again, but he could hear Donald’s thoughts and they were less than pleased. “Do we have to?” He whined.

            “Yes, if either of you are expendable it’s you not her.” His father said coldly.

            This statement seemed to silence Donald, well at least silence his mouth. Chris could still hear his thoughts raging at Brenda and now his father as well.

            Chris found it hard to keep from laughing at some of the things Donald was thinking. Once he got his head together, he posed his next question. “How are we going to get to them?”

            “I’m not entirely sure yet. We have forty-eight hours to figure something out and I’m open to suggestions.”