Chapter 6. The First Encounter

Chris stormed out of the training room, not bothering to check if Donald was following him or not. It didn't matter. From now on he was going to worry about himself and his own happiness and he would not sacrifice his life for anyone else's. When he made it to Mr. Sanders office he was fuming. He opened the door without knocking first. Emily, Brenda and Master Sanders all looked at him. "...and here is the loser now." Brenda said with a wry smile on her lips.

Chris ignored her and chose to address Master Sanders. "Sir I think it's clear that I don't belong here."

"That would be an understatement." Brenda murmured under her breath but loud enough for Chris to hear.

Master Sanders gave her a look. "That is enough Brenda. You and Emily have said your piece and now I must ask you to leave so I can speak to Chris alone."

At that moment Donald phased through the door. "I think I have a say in this as well."

"I believe you are correct, but let's have Chris give his say first."

"As you wish." Donald nodded respectfully.

Chris waited for Emily and Brenda to leave before he spoke. "Master Sanders I think it's obvious that I don't belong here. I guess at some point a group of wise angels thought that Donald and I could be something special, but they have placed their hopes in the wrong kid. I guess all I'm trying to say is... I want to go home."

Now finished, Chris waited for Master Sanders to speak. His face wore a blank expression that was practically impossible to read. After rubbing his chin for a few moments he finally spoke. "I have told you once before that you are indeed a Beyonder and if you choose to live as a normal boy it will be a waste of your potential. Are you ok with that?"

Chris waited a moment. "Yes." He said quietly almost ashamed of his answer.

"Donald what do you have to say?" Master Sanders asked, his eyes now scanning Chris' guardian.

"I still believe we have what it takes sir, but I guess that doesn't matter now..."

Chris could see Donald glaring at him, but he didn't care. This whole mythical world and fight between supernatural beings was not his problem.

"I want to be separated!" Donald suddenly blurted out.

This drew a reaction from Master Sanders. "How dare you say such a thing. The bond between the two of you is sacred. You should honor it and honor the boy's choice. He is a Beyonder and one of our greatest hopes whether he wants to be or not. I wouldn't worry too much, he can't outrun his destiny." Master Sanders now turned back to face Chris. "If you wish to go... you are free. May God go before you Chris Asher." Master Sanders placed his hand out in front of him palm up. A gold feather suddenly appeared above his open hand.

Chris immediately took the feather. A bolt of lightning came through the ceiling and just like that he was gone. The next time he opened his eyes he was back in front of Madison high where he had originally been teleported from. However this time was different, he couldn't sense Donald's presence and there was no sign of him, not even the bright light in his eyes. He crouched down and put a hand on the cement floor. I'm home. He stood up and closed his eyes inhaling a deep breath of air. I must have imagined the whole thing. I need to get to class! His eyes shot open and he ran through the empty halls toward his first period class.

When he opened the door his math teacher Mr. Warmick stopped lecturing and looked at him. "Late again Chris, are we going to have to get you a map so you can get here on time?"

Some of the students snickered at Mr. Warmick's comment.

"No, I don't think that will be necessary sir."