Chapter Eight

I go through the money I've been saving for a few months now; $682. I trade them into the bank for separate dollar bills, so that way it looks like more instead of less. I quickly stash the money in a small bag and shove it all the way to the bottom of my backpack.

A car horn rips through the neighbourhood. I see Johnathan's unmistakably bright sports car parked up in the front of the driveway, his face gleaming with eagerness. Guess someone had the wrong cereal today.

I snatch up my books and dash out to the car. I mumble a quick "hello" before dazing off. If you ever want to have a conversation with me in the mornings, good luck. I'm one of those cranky, mean, and annoying people. 100% not a morning person. I'd rather sleep in until 3, or just daydream the whole day. Never in my life have I ever woken up and wanted to do school work.

I see Johnathan sneaking subtle glances at me as we turn to a back road to skip all the ongoing traffic.

My invisibility walls start to rise as I shut the world out. My heart is racing and my mind is in a whole other universe. I feel my breathing turn shallow and within a minute I'm hyperventilating.

I can't do this.

I can't do this.

My body is overwhelmed. It's like two bricks are smashing my head together with an invisible force. My hands shoot up to my head and I feel the tears emerging. Another minute passes; I can't stop shaking.

Johnathan's face fills with concern as he pulls to the side of the road; the small click of the car tells me he also shut it off. When he wraps his arms around me to pull me into an embrace, I let the tears give way. This isn't fair to him. He shouldn't be dealing with my problems, because they're mine.

I sob into his shirt for what feels like an hour. My mind doesn't even process the things he's saying to me; it's like he's trying to communicate with me through opposite sides of a thick glass wall. God, why does this have to happen to me, to anyone?

Stars dance across my eyes and I think I'm going to be sick. My heart rate is to the point where it might explode if it speeds up anymore. It's a race-car that wants off the track.

I cry out, but it sounds more like a whimper. "Please make it go away.. please.... I don't want this anymore, I want it to be gone."

He strokes the loose hairs around my face comfortingly. "This is just a normal thing Annabel; pain is one of the symptoms of being a human being. Unfortunately, you just got a little more, that's all." he whispers, "I'm so sorry, Annabel."

I lay in his arms for who knows how long when finally, I think I might be okay.

God, we are so late for school.

After getting resettled into our seats, Jonathan smashes that gas pedal and within three minutes, we pull up to the schools campus.

The outside of the campus always intimidates me; it's big and bulky and it reminds me of a huge buff bully. Gray paint covers the walls, making this place look pretty depressing.

I check to see if the money is still at the bottom of my bag. Yep, it's there all right, but now I have to worry if it's noticeable. The little voice coos in the back of my mind: It'll be fine. Just worry about school.

Oh right. School.

Well, guess I have nothing else to lose, so let's do this and be done with it.