15 | Kamharaim

Xanthy craved butterbread

A thousand crystals pointed at her from their place in the ceiling. Xanthy blinked and turned her head to the right to see the same crystals embedded into walls and growing from the ground like they're ajilte vines. Natural light ebbing from the crystals' bright centers mixed to turn the light in the cave an interesting shade of gray.

Her stomach rumbled. Ugh. She ate just a while ago! She sat up. Unless she was stuck in this cave for a week and the brownies have already passed on to Pidmena's realm.

Hurry. She had to.

Her boots slapped the rocks that carpeted the cavern's floor. Crystals from as small as her finger to a size three times her height flanked her way like they were heralding her somewhere. Where was she? The last thing she remembered was the voice telling them that the Pilgrim Path was a point of no return. Then, she woke up here.

What happened? She looked around expecting to find her friends behind her. She...was alone. Where were they?

Xanthy moved forward until such time she noticed she felt lighter. Her hands floated up to her chest where her bow was strung before they entered the cave. There was nothing. She glanced down at where her quiver was supposed to be. Nothing.

Bile rose to her throat. Where was her satchel? Queen's breeches. Nyxis would kill her if she didn't bring him back the vials. Xanthy stalked back to where she had woken up a few minutes before. She looked behind a cluster of huge crystals that glowed bright pink and blue.

Nope. Not behind. Where could her things be?

She bit at her nails as she thought. Reeca, she could handle as the varichria only ever cared about herself. But Nyxis...

Let her say that she didn't want to witness Nyxis going ballistic when someone messed with his brewing paraphernalia. Xanthy's stomach turned with the thought. Nyxis trusted her with that and now she lost it. Great. Nice friendship.

You're the first one who looked for her belongings upon coming here, a familiar voice said. It took Xanthy a minute before she could place it. It's the one that spoke to them in the cavern entrance. The Spirit of the Path...or something.

Others have moved on without bothering, the voice continued. Xanthy crossed her arms. Should she call the voice Bread? How about Butter? She shook her head. Gods, she's hungry.

"I'm looking for them because they aren't mine," Xanthy craned her neck up to the ceiling as if the voice was there. Butter, it was. "I may break a trust or two if I don't get them back."

If Butter could smile, it probably did. A noble soul. It's become rare in this part of the world. Your friends ought to learn something from you.

Xanthy gulped at the mention of her friends. Her throat hurt. When was the last time she drank something, anyway? "Where are they?"

They're in their tests, Butter answered. You should focus on yours.