Chapter 1- A New Life

~This chapter has been edited.

Photo of Carhenge on the side!

****************************************************

“You girls better be safe, you hear me?” said Mr. Neilman from the open driver’s window. “Sage, Victoria, Jessie, you better keep a close eye on my baby girl.” He looked at the two girls sitting in the back and the girl in the passenger seat as he spoke before he rested his eyes on his only daughter that resembled her mother so much. He reached inside the SUV and grabbed her hand. He brought it to his lips and gave it a sweet goodbye kiss.

“I’m going to be fine, Daddy,” Kelsey said quietly. She had never been away from her father longer than 48 hours. “What I’m worried about is if you’re going to be okay.”

“Pssh,” he said waving his hand dismissively. “I am going to be fine. You just make sure you get to your brother’s safely.”

“Don’t worry, Mr. Neilman,” Sage said from the passenger seat. “We will look out for each other and don’t worry; we will call and check up with you, our parents, and Andrew.” Sage had this way of making anyone feel comfortable and that her word was to be heard. She was 5’8” with an athletic body that made most of the guys in their small town look like twigs. Her dirty blonde hair and blue eyes did make the few guys their age turn their heads. Sage may also be the one to put up a front in front of a stranger, but to others she is just extremely protective of those closest to her, such as Kelsey. She is her best friend, her protector.

He nodded taking the answer he wanted to hear, but he wasn’t ready to let his baby girl go. “Alright, get out of here. You’re wasting precious daylight.” He stepped back from the car, signing ‘I love you’ to his daughter.

She signed it back before she began to back out of the driveway.

Victoria and Jessie gave a happy squeal of excitement as Sage and Kelsey laughed at their antics. Sage leaned forward in her seat to grab the Aux cord from the glove department. Turning her iPod on, she played “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” making everyone laugh and sing along at the top of their lungs.

They drove through their small town of Elsie, Nebraska on their way to Andrew Neilman’s house outside of Hill City, South Dakota. Their town was no larger than a hundred people, with maybe seven other people their own age.

When the girls were younger, they made a packed to leave their home town and go to college together. There was nothing for them in their small town but their families. So once junior year started, they looked at all of their options and applied to a lot of colleges. Within that year, Kelsey’s older brother, Andrew, got married to Cassidy. They met in college, both studying to go into the medical field.

“So,” Sage began as she turned down the radio. “Where are we going to stop at first?”

Kelsey thought about the places her father told her they could visit on their way. She glanced in her rearview mirror at Victoria in the back seat. “Tori,” she said, waiting for her friend to look her way. “Can you look on the map and see what highway I have to take to go to Alliance?”

She nodded as she reached for the thick road map under the back seat. Victoria was the shortest of the girls at 5’4”, but what she lacked in height, she made up in speed. She was the only one that stuck to a schedule and held her head up high 24/7. Her father made a career out of the military and he raised his family as such. So with Victoria having three older brothers, so she was raised strict and made sure everything was done down to the T. She never rebelled while growing up, but in high school the girls took a trip to the closest city to get their hair done. When she came back, she had red high lights added to her natural caramel brown hair.