chapter one || 𝐬𝐨 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝

"You cheated

"You cheated."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Sore loser!"

"Bitch."

"Asshole!" I exclaimed shooting off the couch and tackling Lucas to the ground. The fact that he thought I would cheat in Mario Kart is just-

I. Would. Never.

"Hey Mr. Jacobi!" Lucas hollered out as I whacked him with a pillow. I turned to see my father shaking his head at the scene in his living room.

"Hi dad!" I said. I waved the pillow I was holding as a greeting and he shook his head in amusement. I watched him turn to walk into the kitchen before resuming my attack on Lucas.

"Ow! Woman! Stop it!" He groaned. I yelped when he snatched the pillow from me and pinned me down on the floor.

"Excuse me!" I laughed out as he tickled me, "My father is in the kitchen and this is a compromising position."

"Sweetheart, that's incest." Lucas drawled out continuing his attack. I gasped for air through my laughter and pushed him off of me.

"You're fat-" I hiccuped as I attempted to breathe properly, "-and heavy."

"No, I'm muscular-" Lucas posed and paused dramatically, "-and cooler than you."

I laughed and collapsed back onto the couch. Lucas glanced at the clock and grinned when he read the time. 10:37.

"I'm staying over, bitch!"

✧✦✧

"Thea? C'mere for a sec."

I stopped walking and peeked into my dad's room. He was sitting on the edge of the bed holding a box that looked a bit worn down, still in relatively good-shape nonetheless.

"Whatcha got there?" I asked, plopping down next to him. I was pretty sure I knew what the answer was but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

"It was your mother's." He admitted handing the box to me.

"This better not be a necklace-" I took the box from him gently, "-because I'll probably lose it, or it'll break, or get tangled and I'll never be able to wear i-"

I gasped looking at the piece of jewelry that belonged to my mother. A dainty ring was delicately placed in between the black velvet of the box. The three stones set on the band winked up at me like stars in a pitch black sky. I looked up at my father and he smiled pulling me into a hug.

"Wait," I protested hugging him back, "I can't have this. Like I actually can't have this because I'm going to lose it or I-"

"You won't."

"You don't know that."

"It's magic."

"It's not." I smiled looking at the box. When I was younger, my father used to tell me something was magic every time I asked him what it was. I would ask him about the rain and he would just say 'it's magic.'

I'm 99.9% sure it was because he didn't want to explain it to five year old me and then answer another 100 questions.

"Thanks, dad." I said when he kissed my forehead. I stood up and began walking to the living room where Lucas was probably eating more doughnuts.

"Happy Birthday Thea." I heard him say before I closed his door.

✧✦✧

My eyes shot open as I sat up from the makeshift bed in the living room. You know that feeling you get when someone is watching you? The one where you get an uneasy feeling in your stomach and your skin starts to crawl?

Do you ever just think someone or something is watching you but just brush it off when you don't see anything.

Yeah, that's usually what happens to me too so when I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, imagine my surprise when I saw a glowing woman staring at me.

"What the hell...?" I muttered staring at her. She said nothing and started walking away. I watched her stop and turn around to face me like she was waiting for me to follow her. I glanced down at a sleeping Lucas, wondering if I should wake him up.

If I was going down, I wasn't about to go down alone.

I looked up at the glowing lady and she shook her head silently telling me not to wake him up. I scoffed quietly and got up to follow her.

"This is crazy, this is crazy." I said under my breath. I followed her past the kitchen and snatched a knife on the counter when I walked by. The lady turned and I hid the knife behind my back. She gave me a weird look and then walked through the front door.

"I can't believe I'm doing this."

I grabbed the nearest pen and a piece of paper and wrote two notes to my dad and Lucas explaining the weird and slightly terrifying situation. After making sure they could identify the crazy glowing lady if need be, I placed the notes on the table by the door.

I glanced at the clock: 3:59 a.m.

"I'm so, very, stupid." I mumbled to myself, "Okay, here we go. Coat? Check. Wallet? Check. Phone? Check. Alright let's do this."

And with that I opened the front door and almost got hit by a bike

✧✦✧

wc: 824