Chapter 7 (Part 2)

“Well, we’re here,” Dave said theatrically. “I bet you’re super excited.”

Mel smiled mischievously. “It’s that obvious?”

Zamani was a huge store. The word ZAMANI was presented on top of the main door in huge golden letters. The manikins standing behind the massive windows were wearing the most regal of dresses. They made Mel think of fairy tale princesses. Some of them even had small jewels embedded in certain areas. Besides the royal dresses, there were sheath dresses, wrap dresses, sundresses and many more. It looked like a dress haven.

At the door, a single guard in silver armour stood, with his arms in front of him. He looked like a bouncer. He was as big as Dave and Carrida, but with dark skin and a bald head.

The door was normal size for a store, about three people could walk in at one time. Mel noticed that there was a red light beaming downwards on the top frame of the door. Probably an energy sensor. To the right of the door from the inside was what looked like a scanning machine; the type that airports use to scan handbags and luggage. She noticed that when people walked in, they were simply greeted by the guard and allowed to pass. No one was searched or inspected. They only search you if the sensor goes off. It would be bad for business if they search every customer who walks in.

When they approached the door, the guard gave them a small nod. Mel made sure that she was in line with Carrida, as they stepped over the store’s threshold. As she expected, the sensor went off.

“Excuse me, sir,” the guard said, stopping Carrida. “Can you step aside please?”

Carrida looked puzzled. “What’s wrong?” He moved to the side, and the guard scanned him with a hand-sized energy detector. It buzzed hard at his jacket pocket. The guard proceeded to pat his jacket and search his pockets. “I don’t have anything on me!” Carrida was getting impatient.

“And what do you call this?” The guard produced what looked like a butter knife out of Carrida’s pocket. Carrida looked dumbstruck and gave Mel a threatening look.

“Did you put that knife in my pocket?” He remembered her grabbing his arm. “You little weasel!”

Mel faked a gasp and put her hand on her chest. She placed herself strategically between Dave and Carrida. “After making you the toast with the smiley face on you love so much, you accuse me of this? You accuse your own wife?”

Carrida’s eyebrows were so crossed, Mel wouldn’t be surprised if they started digging into his eyes. “This is not my wife. I would never marry this woman,” he said, trying to convince the guard. The guard rolled his eyes. Dave couldn’t help but smile a little.

“Oh? I’m not your wife? Then why else would a big guy like you and his slow little brother,” she gestured towards Dave, “be with an innocent girl like me? People might get the wrong idea if you go around saying things like that.” Carrida looked stupefied. He looked from the guard to Mel to Dave. The guard eyed Carrida suspiciously.

“Ma’am, is this man forcing you to accompany him against your will?” He thought that the woman was trying to give him a hint.

“What?” Mel gasped. “What are you talking about, he is my husband!” The guard didn’t seem convinced. Carrida didn’t like how this was turning out.

“She is my wife, okay? Here look.” He showed the guard a ring on his finger. “We’re married.” Mel flashed the ring on her finger too.

The guard sighed as he noticed the three of them were blocking the doorway. “I will have to scan your jacket. I’m sorry, it is procedure.” Carrida slid his jacket off and handed it to the guard, glad that the whole scene was over. The guard put it on the conveyer belt that moves through the scanner.