Chapter 7 (part1)

The morning sun blazed on Layla’s cheeks as she walked down the courtyard path towards the throne room. The cape on her back billowed with the wind. Her mind was on overdrive, thinking about what Kayzer had in store for her. He told her not to worry, and that she wasn’t in trouble, but that made her worry even more; Kayzer was sneaky.

She took a deep breath before opening the smaller throne room door and walked in. Kayzer was in his high seat; he looked deep in thought. She walked to the centre of the beautiful room and waited.

“Hello, Layla,” Kayzer greeted her with a smile. “I hope you had a good night sleep.”

“I did,” Layla said with a respectful nod. “I’m a little nervous, though.”

Kayzer chuckled. “You don’t have to be. I do have some assignments for you though.”

She didn’t mind assignments. This was her job. She waited expectantly.

“You will have three tasks. Two with moderate difficulty and one easy one. Which do you want to hear first?” He was smiling confidently.

I’m sure this is some kind of trick question. Typical Kayzer. “The moderate ones, please,” she replied, not really caring about the test.

“I see.” Kayzer smiled knowingly. “You like facing tougher situations first. You don’t like the suspense of not knowing the bad news. You don’t like sleeping with an unsolved problem over your head.”

Layla thought that he was overanalysing her choice way too much, but she didn’t say that.

“Your first task is simple, but could end up being troublesome. I want you to find out what the nature of Zak’s energy is. I have a few theories myself, and I want you to confirm them for me. You shall take Zak to the lab and persuade him to take a few basic tests.”

Layla squinted her eyes suspiciously. “I cannot see how I’m needed to complete this task. Wouldn’t it be simpler to just tell Zak to go to the lab and get tested?”

Kayzer chuckled lightly. “I thought you might ask that. You see, the thing about these tests, is that they are very sensitive to the subject’s mood. They test a person’s energy, after all. If Zak is scared or angry that we forced him to take the test, it will affect the results. I believe that you would be able to persuade him to take the test calmly.”

Layla disagreed with this. “With all due respect, I think that is inaccurate. I think I am the last person who would be able to persuade him. I would probably have to physically restrain him just to get a blood test. I think the princess would be a better candidate for this task. He would listen to her.”

Kayzer’s eyes narrowed darkly. “I don’t think Melanie would be willing to cooperate.”

“Why not?”

“It’s complicated.” That was final. Kayzer straightened himself. “I am also very concerned about the Namron egg you found in the woods. There has never been such a case. I want you to investigate and find out how an eastern desert creature ended up in Zayani woods. That is your second task.”

It would be hard to do that without making contact with Nibz, which will force contact with Zak. Are all my tasks related to him? Layla thought nervously.

“Your third task is the simplest. I want you to keep an eye on Zak at all times. You brought him into this world, albeit accidently, therefore I believe he should be your responsibility for the time being.”

This was too much for Layla. “This is the simplest task? This is the hardest! Zak is a friend, and I don’t mind spending time with him as one, but professionally, he will be a nightmare.” Layla’s face was contorted in frustration. “He will be stubborn and argumentative…and..and just downright difficult.”