Chapter Twenty Eight

:):

His Game: Chapter Twenty Eight

Joey made me wait until today to tell her how I feel. I wanted to say it last night, wanted to admit that she's won and that I want to be with her as more than just a player in this game.

I wish I knew why she wouldn't let me say anything last night. Any attempt I made to bring it up, she instantly shut it down and kept saying to wait until today. Maybe she's scared I'm ending things, maybe she's scared I'm going to say she's just like everyone else. Maybe she's scared of someone else leaving her.

I want to provide the reassurance I feel like she needs.

Which is why I plan on telling her as soon as I see her today. So what if it's not a romantic dinner like Dino and Roger suggested- the important part is just saying those words.

However, Joey never gives me the chance.

I wait by my bike for fifteen minutes into first period, missing my english lecture to see her. But she never shows up. She's been late before, so it shouldn't be a cause for alarm. There have been days when she doesn't get to school until well after first period, and it's never worried me before.

So why do I have a bad feeling about it now?

I send her a few texts to make sure everything is okay. After all, she was bawling her eyes out to me last night for reasons I'm suddenly scared of.

But when I don't see her bike roar into the parking lot and none of my texts get answered, my stomach drops. My entire body feels a chill go through it, because I know something is up.

Joey has never ignored me.

First she insists I wait until today to talk to her, only giving me the chance here at school. And then she doesn't show up.

I may not be the smartest when it comes to a lot of things, but girls are the one subject I know a fair amount in. And right now, I know something is wrong. She's avoiding me, and I just want to know why.

I glance back at the school, questioning if I should wait to see if Joey ever shows up or if I should drive to her house and confront her myself.

The answer comes pretty easily, and next thing I know I'm on my bike zooming towards her house. I ignore a red light, too caught up in my thoughts, having a few cars honk at me as I swerve around them, and I even get a nasty finger tossed up at me.

As I pull up to Joey's house, my heart stops because everything suddenly makes sense.

Everything I never worried about before suddenly becomes my biggest fear, and that fear is coming true.

There's a moving truck in her driveway, almost completely filled with their belongings aside from the boxes lining her driveway.

She's leaving.

As I get off of my bike, my entire body feels numb while I try to process the scene in front of me and what it means. Joey is leaving.

I never even gave thought to the idea of her moving away. The only thing I've been focused on is whether or not I wanted her enough to end my game and take my chances with her.