CM Love: Prologue

Prologue:

"Nurse Nash, please report to the administrators office immediately." The voice rang over the intercom. Carson Nash's head swung up, her rich, brown hair fell down her back. Her brow furrowed as she listened to the words, her heart clenching in her chest. The hospital mainly used the outdated intercoms to announce birthdays. Other than that, it didn't have much use.

          "Oh, what did you do now?" Her coworker's cooed playfully, concern etched on the young woman's face. Carson swallowed hard, raking her fingers through her hair, nervously.

          Being in a small Texas town where everyone knows everything before it even happens, she quickly asked. "Oh my gosh, please tell me y'all know what this is about." Her country accent pleaded, heat crawling it's way up her neck to her cheeks. This was the first time the administrator had ever asked to see her, and normally when you came out of his office it was with a severance check and well wishes. Something Carson definitely couldn't afford right now.

          "Nope, haven't heard a thing. But, I did see Mary today when getting my hair done and she said that Lucy's pregnant and get this Chad isn't the father." Mae grinned with pride as everyone gasped, their hands covering their mouths. Carson's eyes rolled with annoyance, around here you were only as interesting as the gossip you had to offer.

          The nurses and doctors got caught up in the gossip, forgetting Carson was even there. She took a big gulp. "Excuse me guys, I'll be back . . . hopefully with a job." She choked out, they gave her apologetic looks, but Carson knew the moment she turned her back the others would be texting away, informing the rest of the town.

          The walk toward John Taylor's office seemed much further than she remember, each step took away a little piece of the hope she carried. "You called for me, sir?" She asked, peeking her head in the door. His lips pursed with annoyance, before he lifted his liver spotted hand and waved her in while he talked on the phone. Carson nodded obediently, taking a seat, and averting her eyes from him. Trying not to appear nosy or nervous.

          John was the scum of the town. There were always new rumors circulating around about something awful he'd done; it usually involved threatening someone's job.

          "Alright, bye." He said, finally hanging up. His hands clasped together as he stared at her intensely, for what felt like an eternity of awkward silence. Carson couldn't take it anymore. She opened her mouth to plead for her job, but his hand rose, stopping her. "Don't look so worried, I'm a nice guy." He smiled oddly. "No matter what anyone else says." He added through gritted teeth.

          The hairs on the back of her neck stood up, her skin crawling with discomfort. "Oh no, I never doubted it, sir." She forced out her best smile, feeling even more awkward than before. Her foot tapped, anxiously, waiting for him to go on but he simply stared at her. "I don't mean to be blunt, but did I do something wrong, sir?"

          "Oh no, it's the total opposite actually Ms. Nash. See, I was contacted by an old friend of mine from Chicago he's running low on nurses and was wanting to see if I had any that wouldn't mind a raise...my point is you are being transferred to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago." Carson blinked at him blankly, anger bubbling in her gut, finding it rude he didn't even ask.

          "What if I don't want to leave my friends and family?" She asked in a shaky voice, change wasn't something she was fond of and everything in her knew that John was not someone you challenged.

          "Then unfortunately you're out of a job..." He trailed off, no pity in his words. She stared down the bald headed man before her, wondering who put him in charge. "Now of course a smart girl like you, wouldn't make a stupid decision like that, now would she?" He smirked, he knew her back was in a corner.

          As she stared into his calculating eyes, she knew there was really only one question to ask. "When do I leave?" she sighed, forcing a smile out, though her chest was aching uncertain of how a country girl like her would make it in a big city like that.

>>>

Her heels clicked against the hardwood floors as she paced back and forth in her home. She waited to hear the screen door creak open like it always did at exactly 4pm. All she could do was practice her words over and over again in her head. Nothing could prepare her for the sound of the door, she turned on her heels, heart leaping into her throat at the sight of Michael standing there in his plaid shirt and worn out blue jeans. "I didn't hear your truck pull up." She said weak, trying her best to hide the panic inside her.

          "Well that's a miracle." He laughed, with his crooked half grin that made all the girls in town weak to the knees, she smiled weakly. "Something wrong?" he finally picked up on the tension around them.

          "Well sort of..." All the words she had been rehearsing fell away, she stammered her way through the conversation. "I'm, um, well..." she stared into his brown trusting eyes.

          "Oh no, don't tell me your pregnant. You know Lucy is pregnant but get this-" He started, changing the subject in time to gossip a bit. Carson exhaled with frustration.

          "I know Chad isn't the father but no I'm not pregnant." His eyes lit up again with the news, his smile returning. He came close pulling her into a tight hug.

          "Well tell me what it is then, love?" He kissed the top of her head seeing the worry in her blue eyes so he adds, "Whatever it is we will make it through this, Cars."

          "I'm switching hospitals." She blurted out suddenly, hiding her face into his chest. Michael's brow furrowed, tilting his head slightly confusion spreading across his face.

          "To the one on 87th, that isn't a big deal it's a little further but if you want we can try and move a little closer to there." He squeezed her tight, hoping it will ease the worry on her face,

          "I don't know if it's on 87th, I assume they have an 87th though but couldn't tell ya' because I've never been to Chicago before..." she trailed off as she watched his face process what she was telling him. He looked down at her, his mouth open but not saying a word. "I'm moving to Chicago..." She added in a low voice, a crease forming between her eyebrows as her eyes pleaded with his.

          "We can make this long distance thing work, babe. I know we can I love you and this distance isn't changing squat."

Song: Coming to Terms by Carolina Liar