Chapter 23

I stare at the little box in awe. The moon's shine brings out the reflective gold embroidered into the surface of the rectangular box of red.

"What is it?" I ask just above a whisper.

He carefully takes off the ribbon that protects it, and opens the top to reveal... a rose. A rose with the softest of pinks at the tips and a darker shade towards the bottom of the fragile petals. It is tightly secured in a mold with soft white fabric.

"This flower is worth a great amount to my family. When my great, great, great, grandfather fell in love with his wife, he gave her this rose. She loved flowers almost as much as she loved him, which is why we have kept the tradition of the royal garden. They say that their love was so strong that it kept the flower alive for as long as they were and beyond. It is tradition for the king to give this flower to his bride. But, I do not love Adora. I just... didn't feel right giving something of such worth to her."

"So, why are you giving this to me?" Why would he give ME something of such importance? What did I do to deserve any of this?

"I'm giving it to you because I trust you more with it. I know Adora won't care for it. And..."

He looks piercingly deep into my eyes, as though he's thinking about his choice of words. He takes in a deep breathe, and parts his lips to speak his mind. As he utters the unspoken word, I hear a voice of great displeasure coming from down the hall.

"MAID! Where did you go, you little rat?" The Queen screams out.

The stress is really getting to her because she never screams like that in such an open space. I look up at Fredrick and instinctively grab a hold of his warm hand as I drag him into a near by room.

"What in the world is going on, Lily? Is everything alright? Why is my mother screaming with such volume? Why on earth would she call someone a name like that?"

Before I raise an eyebrow at his questions, I remember that he's never seen this side of Madia. All he's ever seen is the sweet and slightly controlling side of our beloved Queen. He puts his hands on my shoulders in a panic, as if he's seeking answers for her 'strange' behavior.

"Lily, who is she calling these things to?"

"MAID, I command you to come here this instant!"

She's getting closer as I can hear the slapping of her heels across the marbled floor. I can still hear some distance so I have maybe twenty seconds to explain her behavior.

"MAID!!"

Make that five seconds!

"Fredrick, she's calling... me. I need to go before she gets even more upset."

His hands suddenly drop to his sides as if they're too heavy to carry. His face is emotionless, until a look of pure anger boils up to his eyes.

"Why on earth would she say that to you?! How dare she-"

"Ssshhh, Fredrick, please! She'll hear you"

"Let her hear-"

Before he can finish his sentence, I place my hands on both sides of his face. My fingers softly graze his cheeks as I look into his green eyes.

"I need you to not say a word of this to anyone. Especially her. I need you to cover your eyes and ears and DO NOT open this door."

He searches my eyes for something I can never know, as they seem glossier than usual. I take my hands away before I give into the strange temptation that's almost taken over my mind. I grab onto the door handle and quickly exit the room, leaving poor Fredrick alone.