Chapter 12

Comfort... the first word that comes to mind the second I open my eyes. A word I've never thought of before. Something I've never felt before. It's as if it were lost and forbidden, and I had just found it to claim it to be mine.

As my eyes adjust to the brightness of the room, I look up to see Fredrick's hand intertwined with mine. It's like they fit perfectly together. I wish I could stay here forever. To feel the small warmth of his hand warm my cold heart. To feel the security and sweetness I've grown so fond of. But much to my dismay, I need to get up to start my chores. I slowly unravel our hands, clean his room, and write a small thank you note.

I make my way to the kitchen to find an exhausted Vicky slaving away on the stove. She has bags under her tired red eyes and her half up hair-do has many fly-aways. Her face looks like it hasn't slept in a week.

"Vicky?"

Her face lights up, putting her pan full of scrambled egg down to give me a tight hug. "How are you feeling, honey?" The tiredness seeps through her voice, though she's trying to hide it.

"I'm alright, it doesn't hurt anymore. When was the last time you slept?" I ask, concerned. Her face becomes droopy, then goes back to being bubbly.

"It doesn't matter-"

"Of course it matters! You need sleep! You shouldn't have done all my work. This is all my fault- I could've done it!" I reason, the feeling of panic in my brain closing in on my heart as if it's yelling at me, putting me to shame.

"Sweetie, it's okay. It's not your fault. I love you so very much," Her hands move from my arms to my hands as she places a kiss on them. "Don't worry about me. You go get your work done,"

Despite my efforts to help, she hands me my grocery basket and pushes me out the door. I groan to myself, knowing that in fact it is my fault. It's always my fault. Every since I was young, I've been told that it was my fault that bad things happen to myself or someone else close to me. The Queen always made sure I knew that full and well.

"Lily!" I whip my head around to the sound of quick footsteps coming from down the hall, a worried looking Cara following them.

"Where have you been, girl? We didn't see you yesterday!" I give her an apologetic smile, knowing that she was probably worried.

"I was sick," I say, my gut clenching in my lie.

"I heard," She puts on a playful pout, crossing her arms. "At least you got some rest, right?" She says with a smile, playfully winking. I nod. I can't help the smile and blush that comes across my face. Just the mere mention of yesterday makes my heart beat faster. Cara raises her eye brow at me. I'm terrible at hiding feelings. Especially with Cara.

"Alright, who is it?"

"Cara, I have no idea what you're talking abou-" "Don't play dumb! Come on, girl!" What do I do? Alice and Vicky already know! I can't risk a third person being in danger. What if the Queen finds out and interrogates everyone I know and hurts everyone who knew? If I can't protect Vicky or Alice, then I need to protect Cara.

"I, uh, need to go before the Queen calls me." With that, I speed walk out of the awkward conversation, leaving a confused Cara behind.

Once I get out of the castle, I go to the usual food stands, then make my way to Mincy's cottage. As I walk up the small steps, the door suddenly opens, revealing an unlikely guest.

"Prince Fredrick?" I say in awe.

"Uh- hey Lily!"

He looks as surprised as I am as he stares in shock. What on earth is he doing here?

"You know Mincy and Jack?" I question as I try to make sense of him being here.

"Uh, yeah. I've known them for a while," He rubs his neck nervously, then runs his hand through his nicely put together hair.

"I see..." I eventually utter, not sure of his answer. An awkward pause settles as we look at any direction but each other.

"Well, I gotta go! If I don't get home soon, then my mother will kill me for sure." He chuckles nervously.

"Oh, okay. Um, bye!"

As he walks past me, he says "Thank you for your note. It made my day." With that, he walks away, leaving me in a puddle of nerves. He left the door open, so I might as well walk in.

"Mincy!" I call.

"Lily?" I faintly hear from the kitchen. I walk in to see a plate of biscuits on top of the counter, with steam radiating off of the heavenly glories. She must have just baked them.

"Hey, honey! How are you doing? I feel like it's been forever since I've seen you!" She chirps, a blue oven mitt covering her hand.

"I've been alright. Sorry I didn't come by yesterday, I was sick." A different expression settles itself on Mincy's face as she refuses to look at me. It's almost like she knows something. How could she know? Unless- no. Did Fredrick say something to her? Why would he say anything in the first place?

We didn't talk much as I ate my buttery biscuits. Some small talk here and there, but nothing too fantastical. It seemed like she was holding something back as we interacted. Once I got the dairy I needed, I gave both of them a hug, and started to walk back to the castle.

A smile comes back to my face as I stroll down the market. I feel something warm and fuzzy, and I have no idea what it could be. It sends a rush of blood to my face and makes my heart beat 10 times faster every time. Is this what happiness is? Because I want it to last forever.

Once I get back, I bring the groceries to Vicky, and continue with my duties.

Once the Queen was done whipping me for being late, and for being "sick", I clean all the necessary bathrooms, dust the vases, and do the King's laundry. I finish by polishing the floors in the bathrooms and hallways. I look outside to see that the sun light has already past, with the moon taking it's place. I walk over to Vicky's room to find her sound asleep. I kiss her forehead, and make my way to my room.

I get into my sand-paper-like night gown and lay down on my mat. I miss Fredrick's bed. I felt happy and secure there. This thing carries too many painful memories. But most of all, I miss the warmth Fredrick gives me. As I sing myself to sleep, I fall into a deep slumber with a smile on my face.

Authors Note:

Hey Lovelies! I hope y'all liked this cute little chapter! I worked pretty hard on it, and I am so excited for you guys to see where this story is going! I've also been trying to come up with a ship name for these cuties, so if y'all have any suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thank you everyone for reading! It truly means a lot!

Remember that you are lovely, and to always show it!

~Love