CHAPTER 1

Present day

There was nothing new about this day.Its like any other day, gloomy and dull. But one thing was different instead of escaping her house and going to school , Kiara lied in her bed with tears in her eyes. House, yes house she could never call it a home.

Home is where the people you love are present but where she lived it was nothing more than just brick and walls.

Since her parents died she hadn't found her home. Today is their tenth years' death anniversary.

Kiara closed her eyes,remembering some moments she had been able to treasure with her parents.She still remembered the feeling of being hugged by her parents, to eat the mouth watering food her mum made.

With all this came a feeling of sadness.She could never ever feel that way again.

The day when she came here at her uncle's place in Brooklyn,New York is still clear as a day to her. She hated her uncle.Most would say hate is strong word and family can never do something so wrong that they can't be forgiven.

If that is true then the relationship between Kiara and her uncle is an exception.

Yes,her Uncle provided her with shelter or else she would be at some orphanage or foster home and she is grateful for that.But sometimes cannot help but wonder if life would have been better that way.

Kiara knows that she is safe here at this place because even if her Uncle verbally abuses her and has made her the shell of a person she used to be but at least she does not have to bear physical pain.

She thinks she is better off than others.That's partly true.But she knows she deserves far better. Nobody deserves to be treated as if they are worthless , their mere presence is a nuisance and are good for nothing. But, her uncle treats her exactly this way.

Children feel that school is the last place they'd ever want to be but for Kiara it had always been a safe haven.

But not today. Like every other year she wanted this day to herself reminiscing about her parents and wondering how in the hell did they die.

Charles,her uncle said that they were killed by some robbers but somehow she didn't believe that.She had seen the police reports that were given to Charles by the officer who accompanied her here.

It looked as if it was a poor try to hide someone's cold blooded killing. Stories didn't match up. There were loopholes everywhere.But as of now she couldn't do anything.

Kiara's only goal was to study hard get into a reputed college and leave all of this behind.Ten years ago she wasn't given a choice but now she had one and she was going to start over.

Getting into a good college might not be that difficult because she was a straight A student. Just like her mum she wanted to start a restaurant business.

As she looked at the clock it was noon.She made her way downstairs to the living room of the duplex house.She saw Charles watching football and drinking beer.

He looked at his niece but didn't say anything.He knew that this was the day his brother and his wife died and he let her be.He'll have his fun taunting her tomorrow.

Kiara had a big heart. She waited if her uncle would sympathise with her but she couldn't be more wrong. Every year she thought maybe he will do something different ,something better and maybe just maybe she'll even forgive him but well from the looks of it she hoped in vain.

When nothing happened and her uncle continued watching TV she left the house.
*************
After spending sometime at a nearby park Kiara thought that her best friend would be back home from school so, she made her way to her house.

The house was just like hers but in a better condition.When she pressed the doorbell it was opened by a surprised Mrs.Hudson,Serena 's mother. The older woman pulled Kiara into her arms and said " It's been so long since you came here Kiara.You should visit more."

Kiara smiled at her kindness and said " I will try." As Mrs.Hudson led her into the house, she said "You know the way, hun and make yourself at home."
Kiara made her way to Serena 's bedroom and found her looking through her closet.

When Serena felt someone staring at her she saw her best friend looking at her with bewilderment.Serena exclaimed "I was just about to call you about this party that is being held today at the star quaterback's place. We should definitely go there and before you ask about the invitation everyone is invited."

Kiara listened intently but then shook her head in disagreement."I don't want to go, If you want to you can go." To this Serena replied " Don't be a party pooper, Enjoy your teenage days,they aren't coming back Ki-ki."

Kiara seemed deep in thoughts however she mumbled " I know S.But I just can't." Serena's face softened in understanding and she spoke in a very soft tone " Look Ki-ki, I can't say I understand your pain but I can tell you for sure that your parents would never ever want to you to sulk and mope like you are even on their death anniversary.They would want you to be happy.They are still looking over you girl and you need to make em' proud."

Kiara slowly nodded in understanding. "You are right.I am going to make them proud.But I don't think going to a party and getting our asses drunk is going to make them proud."she said while chuckling.

"Babe loosen up.We are going to get drunk and forget about all our worries.Got it?" Kiara nodded in return.

Then she sat down on the bed more like sprawled out on the bed while staring at Serena.Seeing this Serena turned looking at her with a frown.

"Kiara aren't you going to look for your outfit along with me?"she asked.Kiara looked offended."What's wrong with my clothes?"she said looking down at her ripped blue jeans white T shirt and some worn out chucks.

Serena looked as if she had a mini heart attack."What's wrong?Girl everything's wrong.You are not going to wear that at all."she spoke with an angry tone. Kiara pouted but quickly added:" OK I'll go home and change."

Serena looked at her as if she had grown two heads. Kiara groaned." Now what's wrong?" Serena answered with a sickly sweet voice while caressing  Kiara's cheek "Kiara dear have you ever looked through your wardrobe? They're only filled  with sweat pants,T-shirts,flannels,jeans and that's it."

Kiara raised an eyebrow " So what else should be there huh?Please tell me Miss Fashionista" she added sarcastically.

"Sure I'll tell you and you are going to wear it. I'm going to do  your make up and hairstyle and you are not going to make a peep. Got it?" Serena stated and Kiara answered with a " Yes ma'am" with a mock salute.

After a few hours of  nonstop bickering and fighting it was seven pm and both of them were ready.As they stood in front of the mirror they looked right out of a vogue magazine.

Kiara was dressed in a black plunge neck top and a denim skirt with black gladiator heels while Serena was wearing a maroon bralette and ripped shorts with some boots.They had similar body structure slender and thin. 

Kiara's waist length, wavy jet black hair was pulled into a sleek ponytail and the smoky eye brought out her striking grey eyes.

However,Serena's hair was blond and was made into a messy bun atop her head and her brown eyes were adorned with thick eyeliner. Their eyes met in the mirror and they both smiled." I didn't think I would say this but we look hot"Kiara smiled at her.  Serena gave her a smile "Let's rock it girl."
**********************
A/N
So that's the end of the first chapter.
I know there wasn't much but I assure the next one will be good.

Kiara is going to meet someone who is going to change her life.

Thank you for bearing with me.
I'll update soon.

Vote, share or comment.
Its really appreciated.