Chapter 10

That night all we heard was the loud groans in the distance. The monsters were more active tonight then they had been last night. I hated the thought of going out there tomorrow where we were going to try to figure out something that might change our lives. We might be able to find these monsters home and if we ever were to then we were going to destroy it.

I was up once again, on the second floor inside the office room looking through the broking window that I had smashed through and the monster had smashed through to. It was super cold as the wind blew against me, the goose bumps forming along my arms.

The fire had gotten worse. I wondered how big it would spread until it was so strong that it weakened the world. If the monsters did have some sort of home how would we destroy it? We barley had anything except a few guns.

I headed downstairs to go back to bed.

"How did everyone sleep", Al asked at breakfast. We were sitting around one of the office desks with premade eggs and soup in front of us. The soup wasn't necessarily the breakfast type but it suited us.

"Good", I lied, scoffing down my food.

The twins didn't talk at all. Probably because they were so worried. "Mason. Thanks for finding the weakness to the monsters. Its probably one of the biggest advantages we have ever had. I mean, think about it. If we were to ever find this home for the monsters than we could burn it and kill them all at once", Devin whispered.

"Well, its harder than you think. We might not even be able to find anything."

"True, but we still need to try." I nodded, understandingly. Once we were finished with breakfast my dad checked to make sure we had everything. "Dad, how are we going to follow one of these creatures", I asked, grabbing a gun so all of us had a gun for protection and I grabbed a box of matches to.

"Well, remember, there slow so if we move at a distance we could follow one but first we have to find one."

"Ya, but we may be traveling for days."

"Well, where gonna figure out." We all headed outside into the cold. The sun was shining from above but it was clouded by the smoking remains.

We followed Al to the center of collapsed buildings and turned over cars. "Cover your ears. I'm going to scream so they could hear me." I wished there was a better idea but it sadly was probably the only idea we got. Al took a deep breath and let out the loudest scream, his veins bulging as he used his inner vocal cords.

We waited with our guns held out in front of us. "I don't think any monsters are coming", my father whispered. That's when we heard the low groan. It seemed to come from everywhere in every direction. Then in the distance past multiple collapsed buildings we could see a wave of monsters, thousands. And they were all heading straight for us.

"Run", my father ordered. We split up as we ran behind standing buildings. My heart beat so fast I didn't know what hurt more. My heart or my fear. The groans were ear piercing loud. I reached inside my pocket and lit a match. It wasn't going to be strong enough. I needed something that would catch on fire.

I ran down an alley that had pieces of remains from exploded cars. Usually inside cars they had sun covered nets. If I took a long stick and attached it to the net, then I could light it on fire so it would be stronger.

I heard the groans getting louder. "Hey kid. I can help", a deep voice said from under the pile of debris. An old man with a two-foot beard burst out. He had scratches across his face and looked weak.

"Don't shoot me. I can help you."

"How did you survive this without them finding you", I asked.

"No time. What do you need." I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought there were no more survivors. "Can you make something big that can catch on fire?"

The man smiled, nodded, and disappeared down another alleyway. He probably ditched me or something. Great. The groans got much louder. They were probably all here by now. Then I heard a running noise. I looked up, and aimed my gun at the running survivor with a huge gun in his hand.

"Don't shoot. It's a gas fire gun. Use it wisely. It isn't unlimited." He handed it to me.

"I, I don't know how to thank you." He smiled and disappeared away from the building. All I could think was, "Oh my god, that was amazing." I ran out from the alleyway, pressing the trigger on the big gun that looked sorrta like a pistol to see if it worked. A big spray of fire erupted out of it.

As I ran out I gasped as I saw tons of monster everywhere. And they all looked up at me. I took a deep breath and started running. "Ahhhhh", I said as I lit up the space around, the fire squelching hot.

The monsters screeched and ran away. I did one thing I could think of. I followed one. It was hard at first because there was so much debris in the way and it was hard to get over. I followed one monster who eventually came to a jog.

I couldn't believe I was ditching my family but I did it for a reason. Because I could save the world. If I could stop this then I could find survivors and we could restart the world up again, better than before.

It was hours now and I was so tired as I followed the monster as quietly as I could from a distance. We were at the edge of the city. I don't think I could make it since I was so tired. That's when the monster stopped and plopped down onto the country road. We were now officially out of the city and into farmland with small trees around us.

Then I rested to.

It has been three days from when I followed the monster. I had collected food from the multiple fruit trees that were growing around us and the fresh water lakes. It was the third day and I was still following the monster. I didn't realize it as we walked along the road. I didn't realize the big rock in front of me. So I tripped.

The monster turned around and groaned as it stared at me. I held my hands up. "Look. Its me. I look like you, don't I? You don't have to attack. You may not really understand." The monster stepped closer and I slowly reached my hand out. The monster let out a little mist but looked at me closely. Then he snapped but I ducked and held my hands out again. "Its ok."

I held my hand out again and then something happened that I would have not expected. He held out his hand to. I smiled and we touched our hands. It felt slimy but I didn't care. "Yes. That's how we do it." The monster nodded and all the mist around him disappeared. Then he pointed to his back with his third arm.

"You, you want me to get on your back." The monster nodded so I very slowly went on its back. Then it took me off into the wind with me riding on his scaly back.

Hey guys. Thanks so much for reading my tenth chapter of Mystic Terrors. Please vote and comment and rate on 1-10. 1 being bad and 10 being good. It would mean so much. Thanks.