Chapter 1: Not So Welcome Back

(Song: Speeding Cars - Walking On Cars)

He had come back as a human.

At first it had been rather confusing and weird, but he figured out how to use his new form rather quickly. But as the winter months passed he realized perhaps he hadn't understood himself at all. All the human experiences like feeling cold was dangerous now, and he got really sick.

As the cold slowly turned to summer Bill knew he wouldn't be getting better, in fact he had been getting worse and worse as the days went by. With no food since last week and a stolen sweater that barely kept out the cold he knew he didn't have long.

"So much for coming back.....I don't want to die!" Bill whimpered to himself as he huddled near his old statue for warmth. The sun's ray's had warmed it up considerably and Bill found his aching body ached less when he leaned against it, hoping and wishing he could just disappear inside, melt into the stone. 

He began to cough a few weeks ago, loud body shaking coughs that sometimes came with blood, red and sticky.

"Please Axolotl, please don't let me be alone, I'm scared" he whimpered, tears spilled down his cheeks 

The Axolotl heard his call, and accepted the former triangles last request. 

Ford decided today would be the day he would go to the statue, he did not understand why; it was more like a feeling, like he was being called there, and it seemed too important to ignore 

"Be back soon Stanley" he called to the kitchen, a grunt of a reply was all he got as he closed the door behind him. 

The air was still cold, but the sun was warm, birds sung, a few eyeball bats fluttered around, trying to find sanctuary from the daylight. Once he reached the statue he was greeted with what it had called him for, well he guessed they had called him for. A humanized Bill Cipher, shivering, pale, extremely skinny and sick. He looked about fifteen, just a boy really.

The ex demon coughed up blood onto his filthy shirt and curled up tighter against the statue, whimpering, shivering, eyes scrunched up tight as he grumbled.

He felt rather sorry for Bill, he must have spent the entire winter out here. It was a wonder he was still alive. 

"Bill?" 

Bills eye snapped open, and he looked up weakly, looking shocked but not surprised "Come to kill me have you? I guess a quick death is better than dying slowly, get it over with then I'm sick of being alive like this" he wheezed .

"I'm not here to kill you. I was called here" Ford said. 

"Axolotl, he must've heard my plea" 

"Plea?"

"I didn't want to die alone, I'm scared...." Bill whispered, fat tears falling down his face, and carving lines into the dirt on his face. 

Ford sighed, kneeling down and lifting Bill up. Wrapping him up in his trench coat.

"And you won't, you can stay with us"

Bill coughed again, blood splattering his hand and the coat. "Sorry" Bill muttered trying to wipe it away, Ford just tucked Bill's arms back in the blanket "Its not an issue, it will wash out" he said. 

Bill fell asleep as he walked the trail home, his breathing was heavy and he wheezed with each breath, Ford knew he wouldn't have long. 

Ford turned the heater on in his room, tucking Bill into the bed once he had cleaned him up, adding more blankets around him to speed up the heating process.

Bills body stopped shaking after a few minutes and Ford gave a satisfied nod as he surveyed his work.

He opened the curtains in the room, letting in the sunshine, the rays washed over everything and bathing the room in golden hues. Ford placed a jug of water and a cup on the nightstand in case Bill got thirsty and adjusted the heater before he sat down on the window seat to wait. 

Bill woke up warm, dry clean and comfortable, a nice change from his frozen spot on the ground. He peeled his eyes open, noticing Ford asleep on the window seat in the room. He sat up slowly feeling his bones crackle and pop, his stomach sloshed nauseatingly and he reached out to the water next to him to get a drink. The water was cold, but it soothed his insides nicely. He coughed again, his lungs protesting the shock of cold water that had entered his system. 

The loud wet coughs woke Ford up from his snooze. "Morning Bill." 

"Hey Ford," Bill wheezed.

"You hungry?" 

Bill shook his head and curled back under the blankets. "No, thanks." 

Ford sighed, he put his book down and stretched his legs as he stood up "I'll be back, get some rest" 

Bill didn't reply, he had gone back to sleep.