CHAPTER 5: A Dream Date and a Dreamcatcher

The seafood restaurant was a rustic, split level, architectural allure, overlooking the largest of several lakes in the area. Enormous glass pane windows stretched two stories high, and from wall to wall on the water side, allowing a wonderful view of the water from virtually any seat in the building. The tables were draped with crisp bleach white linen tablecloths, and from the center of each, a candle flickered, adding a soft elegant ambiance to the large room.

       Conversation between Dakota and Evan so far had not lapsed, and the few silences had not been awkward in anyway. He had called as she was toweling from her shower, and had arrived at the dorm at seven on the dot, by her watch. She had waited on the steps, not wanting to subject him to the hazing of the dozen or so girls that were remaining through the weekend. Lora, whom she had gleefully called immediately upon hanging up with Evan, had reiterated her agreement to pop in every couple of hours and be available for the teens.

       During the ride to the restaurant, and once the hostess had seated them, the talk centered mostly around her teaching and his work. His job load was heavier than normal, thanks to all of the storm damage around the area. She discovered that he owned his own galvanized roofing business, which usually employed less than ten others, but that he had hired at least that many more on a temporary basis, to accommodate all of the extra jobs coming in. Reading between the lines of what he was saying, she gleaned that his was a respected name in the business, that people were requesting that he do their work, and he was trying not to turn down any bid requests.

       Dakota summarized her move to the area, and he gaped in astonished comprehension. “You mean you were on the road that day, because you were relocating!?”

       “Insane huh?” Dakota dunked a Cajun boiled shrimp into tangy cocktail sauce. “Anyone else would have taken it as a sign to turn around and run back to where they came from.”

       “But you didn’t.” He tipped his tea glass to his grinning lips.

       “I’ve got a stubborn streak.”

       “No kidding.”

       And they both laughed, as easily as if they had known each other for years.

       The mound of shrimp peels grew as the food on their plates disappeared. They discussed their individual parts in the storm clean up, in the past weeks. Evan told her that in the first few days he had worked in the crews that had cleared the debris and they traded stories.

              Later, they walked down to the pier and sat on a bench watching the reflection of lights from houses and street lamps dance onto the inky black water. The green orb of a starboard navigation light, glided silently across the blackness some distance away.

       Staring into her eyes, Evan declared “I’m glad about that stubborn streak. I’m glad you stuck around.” It seemed he was about to say more, or even about to kiss her, but he tugged at her hand instead. “Ready?”

       Ready? She asked herself again and again through the next week.

       They had walked the hill back up to the restaurant parking area, and he had driven her back to the campus. The girls were full of teasing innuendoes about her date, and she tolerated it in good nature. She had given him her cell phone number, and he called her briefly Saturday, but he had already told her the night before, that he would be working that entire day, and Sunday too. Dakota went to Sunday services at the school chapel, like always, but this week she thought of him every time she saw the newly repaired section.