Chapter 9: The Experience

(Aio's POV)

We met up where we met my friends. I gave her the zapfish back and than we played a game called mini turf war where we shot ink at different squids she won and got a squid plush "good job Octavia!" I told her "thanks here you should have this" she said "why?" I asked "because it looks like you" she said I expected her to elaborate but she never did "Hey you two" Shade said "you should go on the Ferris wheel" Vivi said than they started to shove us toward it they paid for us and soon we were going around the Ferris wheel I remembered what Shade told me about how I feel "you have a crush so your gonna have to tell her eventually or it'll just explode out of you at the worst moment so find a good spot at a good time to express how you feel" we reached the peak of the Ferris wheel "Aio?" she asked than before I knew it she wrapped her arms around me, my face was as pink as her hair. "Yes?" I asked "thanks for helping me this day has been great" she said I was as stiff as a board but I managed to put my arm around her "no need to thank me" I told her I tried to work up the courage to tell her but I couldn't it was so unlike me but I made a promise right then "Octavia I will always help you whether it be regaining your memories or helping you with this world and if I have to distance myself from you to help I will."

(Octavia's POV)

A month has passed since my 16th birthday he has helped me with a lot of things from this world. We went shopping once getting me more clothes and replenishing the fridge he bought me my favorite weapon a splatbrella I didn't know how to repay him than we realized that his shoulder had healed completely so we were deciding what to do "well we could do a turf war?" he said I was about to reply when his phone rang he picked it up "what do ya need Shade?" "ya." "ok meet you there." he hung up "well we've just been invited to work a shift at grizzco. Wanna come?" he asked I've always wanted to work a shift there I nodded "well come on I'll inform you on the way" he said.

*Five minutes later*

I was so embarrassed we had gotten ready and were on our way to the lost outpost but none of us knew that I get seasick I was leaning over the side green as the water i was looking at everyone looked away from where I was but then I felt someone sit next to me I looked up a bit it was Aio I didn't want him to see me this way I looked away "it's ok Octavia some people just get seasick" he assured I tried to wave him away but I couldn't I wasn't up to it than I felt his hand on my back reassuring me it felt good I started to feel better. But then I lost my lunch.

We had finally arrived we were each given a weapon I got an undercover splatbrella and Aio got an Octobrush he walked toward me "are you feeling up to this?" he asked I was about to retort but than I noticed that his hair was pink I must've been staring "what? Do I have something on my face?" he asked I shook my head and pointed at his hair "oh my hair I forgot to tell you that in turf wars or salmon run our hair color might change." he told me "so is the seasick octoling ready to kick salmonid butt." Vivi said I glared at her Aio had told me more about them that they knew about the squidbeak splatoon and how I was an octoling but I couldn't stay mad she was just being a friend, I think "ok let's go!" Aio said than he super jumped to the outpost I followed him glad that I was finally off that boat.

We were on the third wave we had an extremely successful shift it was night than over the radio "Oh no she's coming" I heard Mr. Grizz say "what the shell!" I heard Aio say he was looking up I did too "the mother ship" Aio said.

The mothership looked like a big cooler with propellers with other smaller coolers coming out of it "ok group up around the spawn point so it doesn't get at it" Grizz told us but i had a better idea i took the last bag on my head off and activated my special the sting ray and took aim.

We had almost failed the quota but we kept the mother ship away from the basket and we were back on the boat and I was leaning over the side again Aio beside me they were congratulating each other weapons still in their hands "Octavia did great too" Shade said "yeah she handled that splatbrella like she was born with it" Vivi said Aio nodded "yeah" he said than I felt something wet on my cheek I started blushing fiercely thinking that Aio was kissing me (hey a girl can dream can't she) than I looked up Aio was using his octobrush very carefully drawing on my cheek it made me furious "what the heck do you think your doing!?" I yelled and before he could answer I went on a rant completely forgetting my seasickness I realized that once we got to shore he had distracted me so I would feel better I apologized he waved it off "it's ok" he said than we got our paychecks than Aio smiled at me cryptically.

(Aio's POV)

I was having Octavia's present wrapped up the money from salmon run gave me enough to finally buy Octavia a present. I went home and found Octavia waiting for me "hey" I said "I've been waiting for you" she said "and why?" I asked "well you've helped me so much I don't know how to repay you" she said "you don't have to" I said "but I do you let me live here you've shown me Inkopolis and you helped me through so much I have to repay you somehow" she said she stood up and walked toward me she was close "yeah true but you saved my life twice I think that's payment enough" I told her she seemed to accept that but was still worried I handed her the gift "what's this?" she asked "I realized that I never gave you a birthday gift so here" I said she unwrapped it and stared at it for a while did I get her the wrong gift?

(Octavia's POV)

In the package was a phone in an octo case and on top of it was a pink gold necklace in the shape of a heart that could flip open. I didn't know what to do so I said what I was thinking "I love it." I muttered than, not caring about his below average scent, I threw my arms around him.