Chapter 7

Chapter 7

When an artist dreams, she dreams with her eyes open. Every stroke of a paintbrush is equivalent to a writer's words. This world has the ability to turn the most evil, gruesome thing into something romantic over time. People are funny just like that. Blood is every bit a symbolism of death yet it has been associated with romance for as long as I could remember.

Sighing, I put down my paintbrush and plucked the unlit cigarette from my palette. Feeling the tip of the stick in my lips gave me an odd comfort, and I hold unto that as long as I could to ground myself.

I squinted at the unfinished painting. The lines are all wrong. I do not have any idea how to capture the air of arrogance and the depth of his clear, forest eyes. I could have all the shades, all the hues of the world, but if my artist hands are incompetent, there's no way I could translate his aristocratic appearance into a painting.

My phone buzzed. Tinatamad ko itong kinuha.

Kirby:

Biiiiitch! I'm back! :D

My mouth formed an 'o', surprised to see his sudden text message. Before I could even type a reply, Kirby is already calling me.

"Kirby! It's been a while!" I exclaimed, feeling suddenly enthusiastic.

"I'm with Sorch right now. Where are you?"

"Is that Czarina?" I even heard Sorcha from the background, and then some unknown song blasting. They must be driving because I could hear Sorcha swearing followed by furious honks.

"Nasa bahay ako-"

"We'll be there in 10 minutes if this woman doesn't kill us while driving. Get changed!"

Feeling giddy, I stood and left my unfinished painting. I slipped into a pair of high-waisted jeans and white linen cropped top. My hair is a mess, so I just put it on a lazy bun and grabbed my bag. I am still tying my shoelaces when I heard the loud honks outside. Kaagad akong tumakbo palabas.

"Kirb!"

Kirby, in all his macho glory, is standing in front of his car, wearing a tight wifebeater shirt and a stylish black men's blazer. He engulfed me into a tight hug as soon as I saw him. Niyakap ko siya pabalik.

"I'm so glad you're back!" I huffed. Like Rigor, I have to crane my neck a little when talking to him because of his gigantic height. He grinned at me. He's not even wearing braces anymore.

"Told 'ya, I'll be back before you know it." He ushered me into the backseat and slid next to me.

"Why are you both sitting at the backseat?! Anoa ko, driver?!" reklamo kaagad ni Sorcha. I grinned at her.

"Morning Sorch, looking good today."

"Don't fuck with me, Saorsie. I know you spent the afternoon with Rigor yesterday."

Kirby turned to me with a malicious smile. "Really? You're hitting a Treveron right now? No offense to the Arzano family, Sorch, but what a great upgrade! It's like switching to iPhone from Cherry Mobile!" halakhak niya.

I internally groaned. Five seconds into the car and we're already talking about Rigor. Umiinit ang pisngi ko kapag naalala ko ang usapan namin kahapon sa kotse.

Kirby is an old friend. Like Sorcha, he came from a wealthy family. Unlike Sorcha, his family is more welcoming and cool. Some three years ago, he was sent to US to study and now he is back for a vacation. I thought he's arriving next week, but here he is.