Chapter 28 (Part 2 of 2)

Imlon left the room a few minutes later, shutting the door behind him.  He had only taken a few steps when he chided himself for not wishing her good night.  Somehow, though, she seemed above such pleasantries.  Whenever he had spoken with her, Theano had seemed strong and intelligent, but more than that she had a dignity of presence.  She was noble, as so many nobles struggled to be.  Even after her actions in Pekderzhun, with all the bitter consequences, she was noble.  For a flickering moment he realised that she, perhaps, was more to blame than anyone for what had happened at Myssir Nial, but then he chided himself a second time.  The Templeknives were to blame.  He hoped she realised that.    

He returned to the quiet taproom, occupied by the host and two of the local men.  To his surprise, he also saw Temith sat in a small alcove.  The Erluethan was very still, his hands clasped together on the table, but his eyes were open and his expression was thoughtful. 

Imlon approached.  “May I join you?”

The theologian glanced up.  “Of course.”

Imlon sat.  “I was speaking to Theano.  She seems very calm.”

Temith’s expression darkened.  “She hides her guilt well.”

“Guilt?  Do you think so?”

“You must have seen it.  The way she looked at the people we rode past in Anthornadia.  Her soul is in an agony.  Maybe she will learn now that arcana only brings ruin.”

Imlon shifted in his chair.  He should not have mentioned her, certainly not to Temith, and he felt ashamed that he had done so.

The two of them sat in silence for a moment, until the astronomer realised that Temith was staring at him.  He found that expression more unnerving than the Erluethan’s anger.

“Are you well?” said Temith.  “You have not spoken a great deal these last two days.”

“No,” said Imlon.  “I haven’t.  But I am now.”

Silence come over the table once again.  Imlon could see Temith fumbling with his fingers.  The question was on its way.

“How did you know?  At Myssir Nial.  How did you know we had to leave?”

Imlon bit his lip.  “Can I ask you about your religion?” he said.

Temith sat back, frowning, but he nodded.

Imlon spoke carefully, taking his time.  “I know that many peoples and many religions have several common stories.  Most of them have a tale that speaks of the ending of the creation, of the universe.  Tell me what the Avolites say.”

The two other patrons laughed across the taproom, but when Temith began, Imlon could only hear his voice.

“The story encompasses the creation of the world, also,” said the Erluethan.  He spoke like a schoolmaster.  “There was a great power, Being itself, the One Lord as he is known to us.  He conceived of the world, and fashioned it with his thought.  But when the work was done, he found one thing lacking.  Something vital, a single essence that would enrich and complete the whole of creation.  His answer was Light.  Purest Light, in ineffable glory.”

Temith did not gesture as he spoke, but his expression had changed to a wistful happiness.  Then it fell.

“But Light was so strong, so wholly perfect, that its illumination made the rest of the world look pale, not at all as the One Lord had conceived of it.  Yet he could not imagine diminishing the Light.  He would need to balance it.  And so he created Darkness.”  The Erluethan looked at Imlon.  “It is a familiar story, I know.  All good is in Light, all evil in Dark.  But there is a reason why so many tales say so.”