Chapter 15 (Part 1 of 2)

Chapter 15

Imlon

*

At first, Imlon attempted to live at Exodus much as he had always done.  He dined in the hall with the students and scholars, allowed people to speak to him in his rooms, and went to one of the quieter evening services at the chapel, where no sermons would be given. 

This lasted for two days.  The silence that greeted his arrival into any room and the fevered discussion he could hear the instant he left it, soon made him reluctant even to leave his chambers, which he departed only to fetch his meals.  He did not step foot outside Exodus for five days.

On the second day, the scholar Byan visited him.

“Nothing’s been said openly, not by the Dean,” he said, “But we know we’re expected to be at the council.  They’ll want Exodus men there.”

“A council?” said Imlon.  “Is that the word they’re using for it?”

“Council, joint session, consistory assembly.  Everyone knows what it is, Imlonavar.  I hate to say it, but I can’t see you emerging from this well.  Don’t be belligerent, that’s all the advice I can give.”

Imlon shook his head minutely, rolling his eyes as the other scholar looked away.  Though he had talked much with Byan in his time at Exodus, he could not decide what he thought of the man. 

“Were there any inquiries whilst I was away?” asked the astronomer.  “Any churchmen?”

“No churchmen,” said Byan.  “Plenty from the college, though.  The Deans of St Cato’s, St Arun’s, and House Trevistan.  Separately, I mean.  It’s thought that Edrus Harp actually supports you.”

“I’m glad of it, but it doesn’t mean much unless Raetho’s with me as well.  Even then, if the Chapter is united I’ll need the whole of Princeheight backing me.”

“It’s better than nothing.  There was a stranger visitor also.  That foreign mystic, Callyrian.”

“Temith?” said Imlon.  He found it ridiculous that Byan thought the man mystical.  “He said he was leaving the city, before I went to the Nest.”

“Well, he’s still here” said Byan.  “He was asking after you.  I believe he’s taken an interest in the relationship between church and college.  He’s planning on coming to the council.”

“I’m sure he’ll find it fascinating,” was all Imlon could think of to say.  Temith confused him even more than Byan did.  He had wondered whether the man from Erluethé interested him merely because he came from so far away, or for some other reason.  He spoke about his beliefs with such conviction.
“Have you considered what you’ll do after all this?” said Byan.

“That depends on the outcome.”

“You know which outcome I mean, Imlonavar.”

“I have not considered it, no,” lied Imlon.

He had been contemplating the future quite thoroughly as he worked, both before and after Byan’s visit.  It was never a subject he focused his thought on, but as he planned his presentation to the court and Chapter, refining his geometry and rhetoric, the thought always simmered away somewhere in his mind.  If he displeased the council, he would be ejected from the College, in which case he would certainly leave Monruath.  After that, he would inevitably be drawn to one of the usual great cities of the continent: southward to the Phoronacian capital of Vostrademos, or the merchant competitors Colchant and Tarc; west to Uvechar in the Heath or Assossori in the Lakeland; north through Haruyen and the marsh to the bustling towns of the Aspolis; or, if he could manage no better, east to Myrvet in Crassathy.  No option was greatly appealing to him, but at least they didn’t burn dissenters any more.