Chapter 4 (excerpt)

We fail because we do not see what we need the most. We wander around in our minds and hearts becoming more and more lost, only to find that our footsteps have just gone in circles. That is the great secret, that no matter how far or wide our circle may be, we are never too far to find our way back to where we truly belong.

I woke up and could feel a light touch of rain hitting my entire body. This spot wreaked of spoiled chicken and dog feces and my nose felt numb from the cold. I sat up against the gray brick wall and put my hands over the top of my head. My hiking boots were pretty torn on the outsides, and my jeans had turned from blue to black. My clothes smelled like a mixture of dirt and wet clothes mixed with other foreign odors I couldn't quite figure out. I usually slept in this alley because I rarely ever saw any other homeless people around here and I'd rather keep to myself. It wasn't that I was afraid of other people, I didn't want to talk to anybody. The day I decided to live on the streets I had gone to grab a coffee and some dinner at a nearby diner, and when I got back, my car was gone. My luggage and everything else I owned gone. All I had left was the clothes on my back and wallet until my wallet had gotten stolen and I'm not even sure how. About a week after my car getting stolen I woke up one morning in a park and my wallet wasn't in my back pocket. I don't even know how I couldn't have felt somebody reach into my back pocket while I slept but evidently, it happened. So all in all, I was truly homeless. Truly.

    Around the corner was a Chinese restaurant that made the most fantastic curry chicken and house fried rice...