Lessons Learned In Death

A listless expression coated Aiden's face. He had never seen a death before. Like everyone else around him, he had seen many on television; it would be difficult not too. But the desensitizing morbidity of the popular media had done little to prepare him for the quick dose of reality he had received. It was the epitome of shock. At the instant it was witnessed, an irregular void had appeared in his mind. Not filled with what typically accompanied death; that being sadness, remorse, loss. Rather the void, was just a void, with perhaps a splash of confusion stirred into it. It was such an unexpected shock to the mind, that he felt foolish before he felt anything for the victim.

Fellow pedestrians on the street slowly emerged from there similar states of shock and confusion. Panicked cries sprung up from the street. Able-bodied people shouting for help while providing no other usefulness themselves. The victim lay crumpled in the intersection. For those looking upon the scene for the first time, he appeared no more than an unkempt pile of laundry. His grey cotton overcoat concealing the tears amongst the wrinkles and folds his contorted body created. The blue sedan that had collided with him had a dented hood and a smashed windshield. The cracks in the glass looked like a foreign roadmap as they spread to all corners. A thin stream of smoke steamed out from the grill of the vehicle, hissing as it rose. Long charcoal black skid marks followed the sedan to where it had come to its abrupt stop. All around the intersection now people were opening their doors and craning their necks to get a better view of the delay. Faces could be seen all around, no one was turned away from the incident, it had become a black hole of interest. The shrill wail of sirens came echoing along the buildings.

Five minutes had not passed since Aiden and Mr. Carson had shook hands as they prepared to depart the coffee shop a block away from the accident. It had been a brief introduction to one another. Work had dictated they get together to discuss the cooperation between their respective companies. Aiden had humoured Mr. Carson's enthusiastic attitude, had it not been for the accident, he would have forgotten about him shortly after they had met. Mr. Carson was a tall, middle-aged man. His hair had been a graying black that was neatly combed over his brow. His clean-shaven face had an honest look about it, and old acne scars could be seen if closely observed. When they had parted from the coffee shop, they had done so with false smiles and a vigorous handshake. The meeting had gone well, not that it mattered anymore.

Red and blue overlaid the sunlight as an ambulance weaved its way into the crowded intersection. Two young paramedics hurried their equipment over to where Mr. Carson lay in the street. The gurney pulled closely to them as they bent over the motionless body. Even over all the comotion, Aiden could hear the screeching of gurney's wheels as they were pushed over the asphalt. Their inspection did not take long. They lowered the stretcher and carefully moved the body over to it. It was difficult to tell, but it seemed a little of the urgency they had exhibited moments ago had left. A police cruiser had now arrived, adding to the blue and red dancing on the buildings. The crowd now seemed to slowly disperse, as if worried that the officers would somehow find them at fault. Two officers exited the vehicle and proceeded just as they had at the numerous other vehicle-pedestrians accidents they had dealt with. After a brief word with the paramedics, who now had Mr. Carson loaded into the ambulance, they split up. The older and taller of the two officers began questioning the blue sedans driver. The driver of the vehicle was the most distraught person Aiden had ever seen. The young man had wrung his brown hair into mess. His eyes appeared enlarged over his sharp features, his cheeks a deep red on the verge of looking bruised. A sheen of tears visible as the red and blue flickered over them. The young man paced unsteadily within a small radius of his driver's door. When the tall officer came over to him he placed a steady hand on his shoulder. Much like how you would place a hand on a friends shoulder on an unsteady ship at sea. Aiden could see the two conversing slowly. The young man's lips quivering as he attempted to speak. It was plain that this may well be the worst day he had ever had.