41

Inevitably, I stabbed at my food without ever truly taking a bite. I just glared at my former teacher from across the table as she conversed with my father. I wondered if she could feel my gaze burning through her skin.

I felt someone's leg nudge my own and I turned to face Josiah who sat next to me.

"Eat," he quietly pleaded. "You can glare at her later. I'll even help."

I couldn't help but chuckle, shaking my head.

"The curiosity is killing me. What'd my mom do?"

I sighed. "I trusted her with my secrets, and she shared them with a guy who hates my guts. He told the entire school."

"Hm." He lifted his eyebrows in thought. "Who's fault is that, hers or yours?"

My jaw dropped in disbelief. "Who's side are you on?"

"No one's. When you have a secret, only you can determine how well it should be kept. Whatever it was, you decided someone else should know. And when someone else knows, it's no longer a secret."

"It was said in confidence."

Josiah nodded, sucking in a deep breath. "I understand your anger. After all, she didn't have to tell the one guy who wants to end you."

I cracked a smile, a laugh escaping my lips. The way he said it, so animatedly, was too funny not to find it humorous. He joined me, and we ended up laughing so hard that everyone at the table stared at us.

"Something funny, guys?" My father smiled at us, glad that we were talking so freely.

"Not really," Josiah answered. "You two seem to be getting along swell."

"Josiah," his mother scolded.

"We painted his nails, daddy!" Raina exclaimed with her squealish voice, pointing at them with her tiny finger. "I did that hand!"

My dad chuckled, stroking her hair. "It looks beautiful, Raina. You should do mine."

"Ooh, can I?"

Ms. C and Dad gazed at her in amusement. "Of course. What color do you think fits me?"

"Mm..." she tapped her chin dramatically. "Pink!"

I snickered.

"Pink it is, darling."

"His coworkers will get a kick outta that," Josiah mumbled to me, making me laugh even more. Ms. C must've heard, as her eyes went wide at her son. He leaned toward me without turning his head. "They'll think he's gay."

"He's bi. Close enough."

"My, my. Did you just out your dad? You have a knack for spilling secrets."

I rolled my eyes. "It's definitely not a secret. He's always going off about how proud he is to be the gold at the end of everyone's rainbow."

He snorted another laugh before asking, "are you bi?"

"I..." I wanted to tell him that I wasn't too sure what I was yet. For all I knew, I had immense feelings for Kris and that was more than enough for me.

"Oh, you didn't hear? Being bi runs in the family."

I gasped. "Really?"

"Mhm. Sexuality is totally genetic."

"Wow," I played along. "Science has come very far."

He wiggled his eyebrows. "Exceptionally far."

"You're one of a kind, Jo."

"It's the cannula," he whispered.

*Corbyn*

"My sister's not picking up," I said in frustration. I proceeded to put on one of my boyfriend's sweatshirts and pants. I decided I'd toss my bloody clothes away. Or I might frame and hang them up on my wall as a glorious reminder of my courageous exploit. Nico dressed himself as well, then caught my hand.

"Hey. Let me come with you. You're going home first right?"

I wanted to say no, but where else could I go besides the police station to turn myself in? I didn't care enough about Mr. Starr to go the hospital to see if he managed to live through the night. I was sure he did though. Horrible people never seemed to just die.

"My home probably has this aura of death around it by now."

"Perfect, my favorite kind-"

A jarring knock interrupted him and he quickly moved me to the wall where I was hidden from view of the door. "Wait here; don't move."

I stood quietly, practically holding my breath as he went to answer the door. I thought it might've been the police until I heard Jett's familiar gruff voice.

"It was me," he said. "I did it; I hurt Kenneth Starr and I stabbed him. I'm going to the police station to turn myself in, and get my kid out of this mess. If that man died... Corbyn won't survive jail. I've been there. I'm old, and I won't be missed. You hear me?"

I took a peek with surprised eyes, and I saw the shock on Nico's face before it disappeared.

"And I need to go now before they come for him."

.
.
.

TO BE CONTINUED...
.
.
.
Hello, everyone!
So this first part of the story has come to an end but there is still a second part coming! Please stay tuned for it.

Thanks for the support! You can add my News Book to your library for any future information regarding this book, but I'll be updating you guys when part 2 comes out!

Love you!