19

Tiana →
*

"There you are!" Mae found me in the kitchen where I was pouring myself a drink with a blank look on my face. "Whoa, J... how much have you drank?"

My shoulders sagged as I looked at her. "Not much. Don't worry, I'm still... myself."

"We were waiting for you to come back, but everyone kinda scrambled off. Hey, who's Nico by the way?"

I groaned, rolling my eyes. "He's no one. Just my friend from gym. The only reason I'm still here is because of Kari. We came together, and I want her to have some time with Sage before we go."

"You might have to stay the night. Both of you had alcohol, and I've no doubt she's gonna be blackout drunk before the night ends."

I shrugged. "Well there's one good thing in all this. Tiana likes you back." I nudged her with a tight smile and she clasped her hands.

"Speaking of Tiana... I promised to meet up with her. Will you be okay? I can stay if you want me to."

I shook my head. "Of course not, go have fun."

Mae squealed, pecked my cheek, and strutted away. I picked up my glass but before I could drink it, I felt a touch on my shoulder so I turned around. I'd have dropped the cup were it not for my tight grip.

"Kris?" The smile on his face was captivating as usual, but then he leaned in and I could smell his mesmerizing scent wafting up my nose.

"Mind if we go somewhere private?"

"Um, o-okay." I couldn't say no, obviously. He gently took my cup out of my hand, placing it atop the counter before taking my hand. I couldn't breathe at that action. He was holding my hand! His was so soft, warm and gentle. So this was what it was like to be held by him. It was more than I dreamed it'd be.

I followed him upstairs, and he led me like he had the map of the entire house etched into his mind. He probably did. We walked into a big room that was much like a home library, and he shut the door before switching on some dim lights. At this point, my heart was pounding in anticipation of what was he was planning to talk about.

"What's this about?" I questioned.

"I just thought you might wanna talk. About... everything."

I stumbled for a response before I settled for a pathetic shrug. "N-no, nothing really."

"Okay. Then I'll speak." He took a step closer to me, and I heard him take a breath. "I shouldn't have been mad about something so trivial. I mean, I didn't really think setting me up was the right thing to do-"

"I'm sorry about that. I wasn't trying to hurt you, I-I wanted to expose Corbyn's true colors."

Kris raised his eyebrows in concern. "Why, Jaden?" He didn't seem curious for the answer. In fact, his tone implied that he knew already; he just wanted to hear it from my mouth. But how could I bring myself to spill the truth, to confess that I wanted them to break up so that I'd have a chance?

I turned my head away, folding my arms in refusal to give him a reason. "I'm sorry, Kris. Please, can't my apology be enough?"

"Play a game with me," he said, moving to sit on a couch. My eyes followed him before my feet did, then I sat next to him.

"What game?"

"A game of honesty. I ask you a question, you answer with the truth. You ask me a question, and I return the favor."

"And if I absolutely can't answer?" Something told me that this wouldn't end very well, just like the game we played in the hot tub.

"Then you don't have to. What do you say?"