Chapter 24

When I had woken up the next morning, I was expecting to see Tate. But instead I saw the bright smile of an adorable girl. Her hair was bound with a floral headband matching her dress.  

"You're a pretty girl! She exclaimed when I peeked open my eyes in the morning sun.

I smiled in return, throat still too sore to speak after sleeping. I shifted to get up, but Tate's arms wouldn't let me move an inch. I elbowed him in the stomach gently before he let go and turned over. 

"Are you Tate's girlfriend? I want to be a pretty girl so I can have a boyfriend!"

I smiled slightly before I spoke. "You are a pretty girl. What's your name?"

Before she could answer me, Tate's raspy voice echoed in the room.

"Addie, go away. We are sleeping. You can talk to my pretty girl later." And with his words Addie grumbled, but left.

"She's sweet." I smiled at him as he cuddled right back into me. His head nestled in my neck, arm thrown over my waist, and his legs tangled with mine.

He hummed a response before promptly going back to sleep, dragging me under with him.

...

The next time I woke up, Tate was gone. I could hear a shower running, assuming it was him. My throat burned and my stomach rumbled. I slipped on a sweatshirt before making my way down to the kitchen. The house still had amazed me as I found my way to the kitchen. I could hear voices, so I assumed I found the right place.

I slunk in to find Addie and Constance having an argument. 

"You'll go as snoopy, like you did last year!" Constance cried out.

"I wanna be a pretty girl!" I laughed at that one.

They both looked up to see me in the doorway. Addie's face lit up and Constance stared at me with a leveled gaze.

"Violet is a pretty girl! Will you do my makeup?" She reminded me of a puppy with her big eyes and droopy, eager expression.

"She won't do it! You'll look ridiculous! You are a special girl, but not a pretty one." Exasperation laced her tone, like they had that particular conversation a lot.

I felt slightly bad for Addie. Her own mother didn't see the beauty I did. She wasn't beautiful like the models that graced our magazines. Yet, warmth and innocence radiated around her. She was a pretty girl, from her lazy smile to her shiny brown hair. I found myself lowering my opinion of Constance. It wasn't Addie's fault that she had down syndrome. Her mother didn't have to rub it in her face.

As I waited for Tate, Addie kept me company, until a young, rugged man walked in. He was wearing a leather jacket and his face was not shaved. He had that overall musician look about him.

"Hi, I'm Travis." He took my hand and kissed it.

I couldn't help but blush slightly. He was extremely attractive.

And he was nice. He read a story to Addie while she made moon eyes at him. He was sweet and tender with her, something she desperately needed. I could tell that she had a crush on her mother's 'boyfriend.' He wasn't oblivious to it either. He flirted back with her, calling her pretty an lightly touching his hands or shoulder. 

"What do you think you're doing, Adelaide?" Shrieked Constance as she slinked into the room.

The Cougar was angry. She started shouting at Travis. She was furious that he payed any attention to Addie whatsoever. He didn't really listen to her. Just calmly waited for her to stop screaming, and then asked for money, which she gladly gave out. With Travis gone, and Addie off somewhere else, her attention landed on me.