Chapter 8

The water steamed and burned at my ankles as I stepped into the tub. The knife at my throat poked into the skin, the unrelentingly tip of the blade daring to slice the thin skin that covered my neck. My fingers clenched around the white nurses uniform I was forced to put on. 

"Get down; it's almost time." The intruder instructed me. She pushed the knife a little deeper to my throat. 

This time it penetrated my skin. I could feel the warm blood slowly run down my skin. I could see myself in the mirror, the steam slightly marring the reflection. But I could clearly see the woman as she lifted the knife horizontally against my throat and sliced.

Blood seeped down my neck and into the water. The pink waves rushed around my legs and over the side of the tub. The intruder starting laughing wildly and I laughed along with her. The blood was beautiful dripping onto my pure, white uniform. 

The numbness kicked in and my vision turned white. A whimper left my throat as I slipped into the water, drowning. I could feel the water gurgle out of the cut in my throat. A whisper called out to me through the white light. 

"Violet...Violet, wake up" The voice urged. 

"VIOLET!"

I woke up with the voice ringing in my ear. My vision was still white, and I panicked. I threw the covers from my body and tripped to the bathroom. I gripped the sink as my vision cleared and I could see myself in the mirror. I gasped in horror as I saw myself.

A fine pink line was across the expanse of my throat. The skin was raised and sensitive as I ran my fingertips across it. It felt like someone had choked me with a thin string; the line felt real. It couldn't be possible. You couldn't wake from a dream with a souvenir.

I must be going crazy. I hurt myself in my sleep, that's what happened. Or I twisted in the sheets and it rubbed against my throat. That's it. I'm a restless sleeper. 

God I'm a psycho. 

I turned away from the mirror while applying some concealer to the mark. It was the first time I used it, and you could see a definite color change from my pale skin to the tanish color of the makeup. Deciding it wasn't going to get any better than that, I left to get ready.

It was my first day of school. Great, just fucking great. I've been here almost a week and I already have to attend the hell on earth, high school. 

I got dressed in a long burgundy and purple floral dress with a mustard colored cardigan. It was way too hot to be wearing a sweater, but it hid the cuts aced up my arms, and slightly hid my throat. I brushed my hair until the waves weren't unruly, and got my black felt pork pie hat.

I stuffed my leather backpack with some pencils and a pack of cigarettes. I would need a nicotine boost to survive some of this shit. I slipped into my boots before quietly slipping out the front door. I was unsuccessful. The freaking door squeaked loudly, and that was enough for my mother to come running out. She was still in her robe but had a brown paper bag in her hand. Great. She packed my super nutritious and all organic lunch.

"Violet! Here I packed your lunch, God knows what kind of chemicals are in that cafeteria food." She shoved the bag into my hands before raising her eyebrow at my outfit. "Honey, I thought we were trying to start fresh here, why aren't you wearing the clothes I picked for you?"

Well because your bullshit little dress and sandals would better suit a 10 year old. But of course I didn't say that.

"Uhm, they didn't fit. They were too big." I lied through my teeth.

"Isn't that sweater too big for you?" She asked. I nodded and turned down the walk to leave, while she kept talking to me.

I tuned her out and pushed my ear buds into my ears. Mazzy Star's Into Dust softly played while I hummed quietly along with the strange, mystic music. I closed my eyes while the sunlight shown onto my face. I was expecting to bust out into a sweat, but the morning warmth felt good on my skin. Huh, maybe I'll get some color. I need it, I'm whiter then Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Or I would burn like a tomato. I gripped my sweater closer to my body, as if it blocked the sun. 

"Are you cold? It's almost 80 degrees out here." 

I yanked out my ear buds and spun around to Tate smirking behind me. He was dressed in another striped sweater, this time it was a tan color with red stripes. 

"Are you bat shit crazy? I almost pissed myself, don't scare me like that again." I hissed at him while he just chuckled.

"Oh, that scared you? I thought you were the type of girl that didn't lose her panties over a small scare? Mhm." He eyed her skeptically, but with a glimmer of amusement in his eyes. 

"I'm not scared, just trying to get a point across. Now if you would excuse me, I have shit to do." I gave him a mock smile and turned away to continue my walk to school.

"So you're going to school? That's kinda lame." He said as he caught up to me.

"Well considering it's the law, and my first day, I kind of have to go." I said with a 'Duh' tone.

"Then I guess I have to go too," He shook his messenger bag. "You know, because it's the law."

"So what you really mean is that you were on your way to school already, but decided to make me feel bad for going, when you're doing the same thing?" I questioned him.

He laughed and shook his head. He grabbed my elbow and kept us walking. "Or it could be I'm coming just to see you, when you're not almost in the nude that is."

"Oh sod off, shit head." We laughed together at that one.

We walked the rest of the way in silence. It wasn't uncomfortable. My music was still playing distantly from my forgotten ear buds. Now the loud tone of a Nirvana song played and I caught Tate humming and bobbing his head along. His golden curls shook, and I had to admit he looked so adorable. His dimples were more pronounced when he started whistling the tune. His eyes cut over to me and his whistle fizzled out awkwardly.

I shook my hair so that it hid the side of my face he could see. Could the day start out any worse? First my (probably) vegan friendly lunch and now the boy that made my stomach curl up caught me gawking.

God dammit.

This chapter really gave me some trouble, so excuse it's 'suckiness'. Thanks for the votes and reads of the last chapter!