Chapter Thirteen

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

Oh baby, oh baby, oh we both know the truth
If it were the real me and you,
This wouldn't be the right thing to dO
Now the room is all hazy, we're too lost in the fumes

I feel like it's just me and you,
Yeah we got nothing to lose
It's too late to run away from it all
It's too late to get away from it all
I'm done with running so I give in to you
This moment has caused a reaction
Resulting in our Will you take me to nirvana?
I don't think this will last
But you're here in my arms

Nirvana, Sam Smith.

Chapter Thirteen

“He wanted a date with you and paid half a million dollars? Has he lost his mind, Ames?” Ashley’s voice rang out through the phone and I had to cover my other ear to prevent myself from going deaf.

 It was obvious that my ex-husband had lost his mind.

My best friend took that moment to say something again, “Seriously though, why would he spent half a million dollars on a date with you? I mean, you’re pretty good-looking darling and all but was he actually desperate enough to waste such great amount of money?”

“I don’t know Ash. Maybe he’s playing one of his games again” I replied, massaging my forehead.

“Playing one of his games? Ames, I don’t think so. Why would he pay half a million bucks just for the sake of his games?”

“Again, I don’t know. Jace might go on any lengths to just get to me” I reasoned although it sounded so weak even in my ears.

“Yeah” Ashley sounded pretty unsure as well, “But I seriously doubt that he’s doing this just because he wants to get to you love. Maybe he’s changing for the better?”

Jace changing for the better? I chewed my bottom lip as I pondered this through. “But why Ashley? Why would he want to change now? So many things had happened”

“I know but maybe he wants to change for the twins as well. He probably wants to be a great father to your kids”

“He is a great father to my children, Ash. But what do you think he’s trying to do?”

“Ever thought about this; maybe he’s just wanting to change and maybe someday you can forgive him?”

Forgive and Forget. 

Was that even possible for me?

Could Ashley be right? Was this Jace’s way in making me forgive him? Was I truly that naïve to forgive my ex-husband again after all the things he’d done to me? I felt a migraine rising up and I massaged my temples harder.

“Ames, you still there?” my best friend asked on the other side of the line.

“Yeah, sorry. I’m still here.” I said.

“So when is this big event of a date?” Ashley asked, stirring me out of my reverie.

“Tonight. Why?” I asked.

I could just picture her tapping her forefinger on her chin, as if she was thinking of a maddening scheme. I could just see a glint in her eyes.

“Well, in that case. We need to find something nice and sexy for you tonight” Ashley said, sounding wicked and evil. I wasn’t going to like what she was planning.

“What do you mean we need to find something nice and sexy for me tonight? There will no ‘us’ here Ash and I will not wear anything you’re thinking of” I said, sternly. I didn’t have time for this time of nonsense.