Chapter Nine

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Chapter Nine
(Edited)

When you say you love me
Know I love you more
And when you say you need me
Know I need you more
Boy, I adore you, I adore you

Baby, can you hear me?
When I'm crying out for you
I'm scared oh, so scared
But when you're near me
I feel like I'm standing with an army
Of men armed with weapons, hey, oh

When you say you love me
Know I love you more
And when you say you need me
Know I need you more
Boy, I adore you, I adore you

Adore You, Miley Cyrus

Chapter Nine

                Recklessness was the ghost that got you--it was the ghost that got me. I dragged my hands through my dark locks, tugging at them harshly, as frustration and annoyance consumed me. I closed my eyes for a brief second, allowing the eyelids to flutter instinctively, pondering about how Jace found the pen--the artifice that lucidly exposed the fact that I still had feelings for him; feelings that stuck me to him like glue. His winning trophy. That damned pen. He didn't even say how he had found it, but merely guessed--that smug, victorious smile plastered to his face nauseating and revolting. We ended the conversation with a brief, cold and curt goodbye. There wasn't one word, just plain and professional--dull. But I was still silent as stone; keeping my distance. Professional was the definition of our lives. The Board of Trustees meetings got more out of hand--vehement and violent. I was fed up with Jace's petulant behavior, I had been since our wedding day, but I kept my cool for the benefit of my children.

                Snapping out of my reverie, I groaned, and ran my hands down my face. Feeling a migraine at bay, I pulled a minuscule capsule of pills out of my cabinet and popped some pills into my mouth, swishing it with a few gulps of water. I haven't had much sleep over the couple of nights since my unpleasant encounter with my ex-husband, and his words kept nagging at my brain; pulling the corsets of strings. My phone began whining and singing inside my bag and I retrieved it from the floor, an unpleasant scowl painting itself onto my face. Jace. I  turned off my phone, an angry crocodilian-like stare overwhelming my delicate features.

                This pen I was provided with two years ago seems to have been purchased by you.

                How had he even found that it was me who bought the damn pen? I had made sure to get anonymous and so much for anonymity; hell, why did I even buy it for that bloodsucker? I sighed in exasperation for the second time, tangling my fists into my hair. Jace had again proved that he had the upper hand. I was losing, imperfect and perfecting my revenge--shrewd. Snapping me out of my thoughts yet again, the office door opened and revealed my secretary Shay, who emanating a worried look. I frowned. Did I actually look that stressed out? I could have laughed at Shay's face if her she hadn't looked so anxious and displeased.

                "What's wrong, Shay?" I asked, propping both of my elbows on my wooden table and massaged my temples.I watched her sat on one of the chairs in front of me and faced me.

                "What is wrong with you? You've been stressing out, riled up, on edge--ever since your last encounter with your ex. What's been going on--it's not something you can deal with alone. What did he do?" she asked, chewing her lips worriedly.

                "Jace is being Jace," I replied, cryptically. "I don't want to bore you with too many details and I'll make this a long story short, but my ex found out about this pen I gave to him two years ago and I don't why he has his panties in a twist. He thinks I still harbor feelings for him. Why can't he just let it go, Shay?"