Chapter Three: Righteous Fury

“Are you going to tell me what's going on?” Amy asked angrily, shaking the beautiful brown haired immortal by the shoulders. Catherine had drawn into herself and was no longer responding to anything Amy was doing, sitting quietly by the water’s edge staring off into space. She had been like this for a few hours, and Amy was really starting to get worried. She had no idea what was going on, where exactly she was, or even how to get the hell out of there. She desperately needed to find James; he would have the answers she was looking for.

“Cat I need your help!” she begged. “Just tell me what is happening, please!”

A good five minutes passed before the strange woman decided to speak, her eyes still locked on the same spot in the middle of nowhere and her face passive, “The world is ending.”

Amy screamed in frustration, pushing down the urge she had to hit James’ cousin. She had said the same thing earlier, when they first arrived in this hidden oasis, and Amy still didn’t know what she had meant. It felt like only half an hour ago she had been with James in his dorm room, their bodies pressed together as they enjoyed the feelings they gave each other. It was amazing how quickly things changed, as she quickly found herself in the middle of some massive fight. It had all been so quick that her mind had not been able to keep up with it. She remembered seeing James get into a fight with a bigger, more menacing looking man, getting tossed around like a rag doll. The last thing she saw before Cat ripped her away from that weird room was James running for his life, as the man called Ares threw a giant spear at him. She didn’t even know if he was still alive, and that scared her more than anything else.

“What do you mean?” she asked frantically, shaking the woman again.

“None of it happened like I saw it in my visions! We failed in our only purpose!”

Having enough of the insane babbling, Amy finally screwed up enough courage and slapped Cat hard on the cheek, the sound reverberating off the walls a dozen times. It had been the wrong thing to do and Amy quickly regretted it, as the incredibly strong woman’s eyes hardened and grabbed her by the throat, lifting her high into the air. Her feet dangling, Amy grabbed the woman’s hands and tried to pry them off of her, but all the strength she had in her body wasn’t enough. She could feel the life starting to seep from her and the edges of her vision started to darken as her brain cried out for oxygen.

“Catherine!” a strong and silky voice called out. Catherine released her grip instantly, a look of confusion crossing her features as Amy fell hard to the ground and landed on her butt. Another incredibly beautiful woman, known as Erin, had entered the oasis and was staring holes into the younger one. “Do you really want to hurt your love again, by killing his mate?”

“I’m sorry, I lost my temper,” she apologized to Amy and offered her a hand. She took the help cautiously, rubbing the spot she had hit on her tailbone.

Erin walked closer, her golden arm glinting in the pale light coming from the walls and her long sword clutched tightly in her hand. “Where is Gabriel?”

“He didn’t make it here,” Cat said sadly, hanging her head as grief seemed gripped her.

“He must have! I saw him teleport away!”

“Then he is still alive?” Amy asked, hoping that the new arrival would have the information she desperately sought.

“I hope so,” Erin whispered. “It was confusing in those final moments up there, and I’m not really sure of what all happened. I saw Gabriel vanish, but I think he might have been injured. If he is still alive he could be anywhere, but we can’t go looking for him right now.”