Real Colors(7)

CHAPTER 7: Real Colors

"Wow! We seem to be seeing you at the station a lot! Don't tell me you're in trouble little lady." The cop smiled nicely to Kat. She just sat quietly and waited for Lieutenant Williams to come out of the room. The cop sat next to Kat. He smiled gently and asked "So why are you here?"

"Because I watched my mother kill someone."

The friendly cop was still smiling gently, "Well I don't think it can get any worse for you."

Kat glared at him, "My Dad is dead, my Mom is the one who killed him, everything I owned is ash now, and I am ALONE. It can't get any worse because my life is at its worst right now!" The cop shook his head as he stood up. He walked out of the small room leaving Kat all alone.

"Don't worry Lady Katherine, this station is currently a safe location." Claire said quietly. Kat ignored her. "You aren't alone Lady Katherine. You have Mist, Femi, Jolon, and me. We won't abandon you. Ever." Claire's words made Kat feel happy inside. Claire was right, she wasn't alone.

A different cop came in through the door, he sat down across from Kat and stated stroking his long dirty beard. "Miss Orcen... We have good news for you." He paused and looked at Kat's confused expression. Her mom was a killer, how could anything relating to that topic be good news? "Your mother, Joanna Orcen, has been found guilty for the murder of your father, Nina Leona, and three other victims. Now here is the good news... she isn't going to jail." Kat's jaw dropped. They were going to let her mother get away with murder! Did they not care that she had KILLED people? "She is going to an Asylum in a different city. Our geeks were able to diagnose your mother with extreme paranoid schizophrenia and multiple personality syndrome. In a nutshell, your mom is going to live on the 'funny farm' with nice people who will try to help her. That's not so bad." Kat wanted to grind her head against a cheese grater. Joanna Orcen was a lot of things, a control freak, a neat freak, a workaholic, a high school dropout, but insane? How could someone Kat knew her entire life be crazy, and not a single person discover it? It didn't make sense to her.

Claire interrupted Kat's thoughts. "Your mother isn't crazy. I have observed her for a long time, I would know if she was crazy." Kat quietly nodded. The cop left the room. "I think she has been possessed." Kat sat upright.

"By a ghost?" she asked quietly.

"No, ghosts don't harm the living, no matter how angry they are. I think it is a demon."

"... A demon..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Femi sat next to her daughter in the Williams' estate. She preferred her new home to the old one. The House of Familiars was overcrowded, a result of demons and power seeking mages killing witches and wizards before they could get familiars and by making more Familiars lose their mage. Mist was napping peacefully, undisturbed by the dogs, Kodiac and Andy, playing on the grass.

"I win!" Kodiac woofed as he pinned Andy on the ground.

"Guess again!" Andy kicked up her back legs and landed a blow to Kodiac's stomach. He fell over and she jumped on top of the mighty Malamute. Femi smiled as she watched the two play. They may have been dogs, but they were pretty friendly. She had never witnessed them hurting a living creature.

"Please! Help me! Help me! She's dead! Dead! Dead! It killed her! My Milinda is dead!" The fearful scream made both cats sit up. A raven circled above them, one wing was very noticeably injured and it crashed onto the grass still screaming. "Dead! Dead! Dead! She's dead!"