Spock and Uhura Chapter 6

Uhura ignored the looks from her fellow crew members when she materialized aboard the platform of the Enterprise. The silk folds of her short skirt flowed behind her while she ran. McCoy's body is dying and I need that data disk from Spock's cabin and I have to get back down to the surface before the others notice I'm gone. She plugged in the key code to Spock's quarters, barging through the doors when they swished open. Her eyes moved from side to side until she noticed what she looked for —the box. Remembering the sequence of pressure points to push, her nimble fingers went to work. After several clicks, the sides came down, revealing a small data chip inside. She grabbled it, ran over to Spock's desk top monitor, fast forwarding until she found the section where McCoy had brought Spock's brain back in the alternate universe.

The hairs on her arms stood on end, while she watched the events unfold before her. The happy ending where McCoy saved Spock didn't include her presence. In that universe she and Spock were just colleges. After gleaning the information, she needed, she sat down on the edge of his bed, resisting the impulse to watch more of Spock's life. Get with it Nyota, you have to get back to the surface. Her flimsy excuse about Spock needing medication wouldn't hold for long, and she still had to give the coordinates to the medical team in sick bay telling them where to beam down McCoy's body.

***

Spock stood back when he heard the familiar hum of a transporter beam. Uhura beckoned him towards her and a stretcher where McCoy lay. He looked down at the Doctor and swallowed, noting his grey pallor. "Nyota, his time is near. You have to accept that we may be too late."

Her beautiful features contorted into a scowl. "Spock, stop. We're going to be on time."

He opened his mouth, his words lost in the glowing beam of another transporter beam. They landed in the control room, where a pulsing light undulated in a round sphere. Spock stepped towards it. "Fascinating," he whispered.

"Right back at you, Spock," McCoy's voice drawled from the center of the sphere.

Uhura grabbed his arm. "Spock, there isn't time for this."

Luma stood before them. "What is happening here?"

Uhura sighed. "I don't have time for this crap." Spock watched her in amusement when she walked up, kicked Luma's legs out from beneath her, while slamming her fist into Luma's jaw. Luma fell to the ground in a heap.

Kirk whistled. "Nice job, Lieutenant. Remind me to never cross you. How did you manage to get us free?"

Spock watched the interplay, then brushed past them to where a large helmet with spikes on it rested against a control panel.

Uhura nodded in his direction, handing him an electronic scalpel. "Put it on, Spock." He swallowed, put the helmet on and began to operate. Colors swirled around him, voices spoke to him in Vulcan and all became clear. It's something a small Vulcan child could do. His fingers moved in quick motions, searing away flesh, cutting through bone and connecting synapse after synapse, until McCoy became whole.

"Spock?" A familiar voice rasped.

He looked down at McCoy. "Why yes, Doctor, how can I assist?"

McCoy glared up at him then attempted to sit up. "Who, put me back together again? Whoever they were, they must have been a top-notch surgeon. I swear I can even see better."

"Why thank you, Doctor."

McCoy looked at him, then leaned back on the stretcher. "God, help us, Spock's now performed brain surgery."

"Yes, Doctor, and it was quite simple. I have no idea why the requirements for becoming a surgeon are so stringent. Why a small Vulcan child could have done it."

"Why you green blooded bastard."

"Perhaps, I shouldn't have attached his vocal chords." Kirk, Uhura and even McCoy laughed. He stepped aside, attempting to ignore the emptiness that made his chest tighten.

Kirk smiled at him, then frowned. "Spock, are you okay?"

He gave a curt nod, then waited for the transporter to beam them home.

Spock's Quarters

The briefings were complete, minus the mention of Spock's data chip, and they were on their way once more. Uhura looked at him, tracing her finger along his jaw. "What is it, Spock?" He leaned back and pulled her into his arms. "Nothing, I am quite well."

Uhura smirked. "Vulcans, don't lie my foot. I know something's up."

He let his lips turn up in a shy half smile. "I cannot tell you what's troubling me when I do not know myself."

Uhura ran her fingers over his chest. "Do you want to try and explain?"

He looked above her head at the small box on his desk, that contained the chip. "No, everything's fine."

Uhura snuggled against him. "Okay, Spock."

He held her close, thinking of the haunted look in Ambassador Spock's eyes, when they last spoke. Spock, keep your friends and family close, value every moment with them and know that no matter what transpires they are with you—somewhere in time.