Seize the Day

We returned from Brooklyn looking defeated. Our feet heavy, we carried ourselves to newsie square, where every other newsie waited for our arrival.
"Hey Jack, Where's Spot?" Racetrack asked. I was angered by the arrogant boy and the experience I just had. Brooklyn has made a pretty bad impression on me.
"Theys not comin'," I said angrily, trying to push past all the boys but Mush stops me by putting his arm out. He spins me around to face back to Jack. "Yous stayin' here and explaining what happened." I huffed at Mush as he kept a hand on my shoulder.

"He's concerned about us bein' serious. You imagine that?" Jack explained.
I scoffed. "Yeah, he made it pretty clear nothin' happens without his arrogant ass." I rolled my eyes. I heard many chuckles and snickers through the crowd. Mush squeezed my shoulders and laughed. "Someone's not a fan of Spot Conlon, huh?" I laughed and playfully punched Mush in the torso.

"Well Jack, maybe we outta ease off a bit, without Spot, there ain't enough of us." Racetrack spoke out.
"Maybe we're movin' too soon, maybe we ain't ready," Mush said next. Stepped out from under Mush's arm and looked at both him and Racetrack in disbelief. "You was all about the strike yestaday, you really think that?" I asked them. I couldn't believe they said that. The second something doesn't go their way, they give up. Skittery shrugged. "Yeah, I do think that."
Jack looked just as annoyed as I was. Race sucked his teeth. "I mean, without Brooklyn..."

"Ta hell with Brooklyn!" I raised my voice and threw my hands in the air. "Is this some kind of game to you guys?" I asked, trying to guilt trip them. Usually, this works since I am the only girl. All of them have a soft spot for me. Jack grabbed my shoulder and signed. "Give it a rest, kid. Maybe Spot was right."

I was frustrated beyond belief. Everybody was going to give up so easily, then everybody would think that we were weak, unmotivated, unprepared. I wanted to prove every rich bastard wrong. That our voice mattered. It seemed as though David had read my mind.

"Open the gates and seize the day, don't be afraid and don't delay," David looked at me. I smiled at him. Finally, someone understood the importance of this strike. I joined him in singing.
"Nothing can break us, no one can make us, give our rights away."

We looked at each other, I rested a hand on his shoulder, and together we sang;
"Arise and Seize the day!"

David: Now is the time to seize the day!
Newsies: Now is the time to seize the day!
You: Send out the call and join the fray!
Newsies: Send out the call and join the fray!

David: Wrongs will be righted
You: If we're united
Newsies: Let us seize the day!

David: Friends of the friendless seize the day!
Newsies: Friends of the friendless seize the day!
You: Raise up the torch and light the way
Newsies: Raise up the torch and light the way!

Newsies: Proud and defiant.
We'll slay the giant,
Let us seize the day!
Neighbor to neighbor,
Father to son!
One for all and all for one!
Open the gates and seize the day!
Don't be afraid and don't delay!
Nothing can break us
No one can make us
Give our rights away!
Neighbor to neighbor,
Father to son,
One for all and all for one!

In the end, Jack and I ended up standing on top of the statue of Horace Greeley. The circulation bell starts ringing and everyone stops. Jack gets all the newsies attention. "Anybody hear that?" He asked. Unanimously, everyone said no.
"So what are we gonna do about it?"
"Soak 'em!"