BEFORE

APRIL 15TH, 1984

IT WAS A RATHER warm April day in the northeast, and the small town of Orburn took advantage of that fact

The small town was located on an island off the coast of New York, and so the beaches were often packed on weekends and holiday breaks. Ferries carried load after load of tourists hoping to catch some sun and some waves. New faces popped up in the small shops and business boomed.

This unusually warm Friday afternoon would not be the same as the others.

Kids raced out of their classes and flew down the streets, on bikes, skateboards, or even their feet. Swimsuits were hastily pulled on before friends regrouped and found themselves barreling toward the beaches. Everyone wore a bright smile, excitement evident upon their faces.

Until it wasn't.

Hanna Porter was a sweet young women. She had moved to Orburn a little over a decade ago, wanting a quieter life than the hectic streets of New York City. She set up shop in a small downtown cottage; Porter's Pastries. The town grew to love her, and she did them. The older folks loved her realist nature, and often spent mornings grabbing a bite from her. Kids loved her generosity and mother-like tendencies, and we're always so excited for their free birthday treats. Hanna loved the small town with all her heart.

So it was rather upsetting when the first group of young teens discovered her pale body washed upon the shore.

She wore a white gown with small pink flowers across it. Her hands were folded over her chest loosely and her legs were crossed. Her face was frozen, eyes wide open, but not from fear. A piece of paper sat in her hand.

Needless to say, the beaches were not packed on that warm Friday afternoon, but they buzzed with police officers.

The chief of police squatted next to the pale young woman, and gently reached a gloved hand for the slip in her's.

He carefully unfolded it, hoping not to tear the damp paper or smear the ink. He gave the woman one last look before turning back to his men. The note was held out for the others to see.

Too close. There will be no next time. Copy?

The men sighed. It was an unspoken fear that this was the reason for the sweet woman's death, but nothing confirmed it until the note was read.

Orburn would have to resume as normal. No one was to know. She simply died of a water accident, a tragic drowning the town would grieve over. Nothing more.

Copy.