Chapter #2

Chapter 2

~Alitha~

The shrill alarm was followed by the instant rustling of bags and books closing. As the students around me rushed from the auditorium, nothing could stop them, not even the yelling of the professor as he gave them last-minute information.

Rising slowly, I made my way down the steps, enjoying the sight of so many rushing toward their future. They had a gleam in their eyes, like everything around them was new and exciting.

"Hey! Ali!"

Hearing my name, I stopped at the door and half-turned to watch Phina's human friend running toward me. He was a little above my height, with warm brown eyes and a soft smile that had stolen a few hearts, I was sure. He wore jeans and a flannel shirt open so I could see the white T-shirt underneath.

He stopped by my side, and with a sigh, closed the space between us. "I wanted to ask if you would like to go to the 'Diyu' tonight."

Chewing my bottom lip, I attempted to remember his name. "Y– I'm sorry, I can't seem to remember your name." I awkwardly laughed. I could remember how to read Egyptian hieroglyphs but not the name of the male who'd obviously been introduced to me before.

He laughed. "It's cool. I'm Cole. We met at Coleman's."

"Oh, right." Coleman's was a local college bar. One night, Phina dragged me there in an effort to make me socialize. I had been reluctant to go, not because of the socializing, but because drinking never ended well for me. "So, did she give you the mission of inviting me?" I asked, humor coloring my voice.

He smiled. "No, I thought it would be cool to ask you myself. Phina didn't think you'd be interested."

Phina knew me well. I would decline his invitation, but not for the reason she probably thought. "And she would be right." His expression dimmed. "Because I'll be working there tonight."

He blinked before his expression lightened again. "Seriously?"

"Seriously," I said. "I got a job there a few weeks back. My parents want me to become a bit more self-sufficient."

Another lie. My parents were both doctors, one being a surgeon, and they would give me the world as I had been a miracle baby to them. Yet, I didn't feel it right to continually use their money. I had already made an offering to Hera, to ensure that my mother would have another child. Call it a miracle or scientific breakthrough. I'd pushed them to try again, and they would succeed. I knew it.