CHAPTER 1 - Cape May [By Jenn]

CHAPTER 1 - Cape May [by Jenn] 

When the dawn breaks over this small town called Cape May and the shimmering lights from the Sun beginning to fill the streets that are still wet from the dew, he inhales deeply, grateful for the amazing night that he had last night. Laura was her name. She was beautiful. He can still feel her blood on his fingertips even when they were gone now. Those bloods were warm, fresh, and the taste was the taste that he had dreamed of tasting for so long. He can sense that this satisfaction he felt will last him for quite some time before the urge to kill overflows himself again. He had always known that he is a murderer. This sick obsession has had control over him long before he knew of its existence. He enjoyed every moment he had with Laura. The taste of her pink cherry lipstick on his lips, the way her eyes avoided looking into his, and even the surprised gesture of her body the moment he stabbed her heart and slit her neck. He loves the view of the blood spilled and spattered all over the room. He smiled in awe over the satisfaction he felt. Evil, but a charming smile still, from the view of a passerby. 

He had a strong, athletic build-up. He knew that he can get attention from any women at all with a face and a body like that. Those advantages made his purpose in life easier. He can fool people around him and prey upon anyone he wishes to. The salty air in this part of town that is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Delaware Bay had drawn tourists to come over ever since centuries ago. The preserved Victorian homes, the beach after sundown, and the extraordinary cuisines are all fascinating attractions towards tourists and Laura too, was just another tourist. She was his second victim since he moved to Cape May. He will be moving out again soon even if none of his victim’s body were ever found. Where he hid them remain a secret. He smiled at the thought of how no one could ever guess the look of his face behind the mask he wears so well.

He walks into the hallway of the Craftsman-style inn named “Rhythm of the Sea” where he worked as a chef. His shift will begin soon being an assistant to the well-known chef in town, Fiorent. Fiorent is also the innkeeper and he has had a lot of experience in cooking and also in life. Fiorent is a great chef and also a skillful skier, sailor and rower. Fiorent had a fair share of experience during the time he spent being a chef in the Europe before moving to this small town in New Jersey. “Ah! You’re here.” Fiorent greets him as he enters the kitchen’s door. He smiles handsomely at the view of Fiorent placing fresh berries on top of the granola parfait he had just made. “Phil, would you mind serving this to table 23?” Fiorent asks him.

“Sure!”  

Phillip takes the granola parfait, place it on a tray and carry it towards the kitchen’s exit door. As he leaves the kitchen, he can still smell the homemade breads and pastries from the kitchen. He made his way to table 23 with a smile on his face at how impressive the smell of Chef Fiorent’s baking. Upon arrival at table 23, a familiar face comes to his view. It is the women who sit at the table; she is so familiar to him. Phil is more than certain that he had met her before. More precisely, he is definitely certain that he had killed her before.  

     But there she is, right in front of his eyes and absolutely alive. He couldn’t say a word. Part of him feels a deep regret that he may have not finished his job but another part of him is surprisingly happy to see her again. She was his only victim that he never forgets. The look in her eyes the moment her life ended was different. He did not see any fear in her eyes. She was completely calm when he murdered her. She had made him hesitated of his intention to kill but he did it anyway. He killed her because that is the only reason he lives. He lives to kill. But how could it be that this woman he had been thinking of for so long is alive, healthy and looking at him straight in the eye? “Are you okay?” She asks, waking him up from every thoughts he has in his head.

     “I’m sorry. This granola parfait is for you miss.” He said calmly, trying to hide every bit of anxiety he felt running through his skin.  

     “Thank you.” She smiles warmly as if smiling at someone she had just met. He didn’t know how to respond so he smiles back at her and turn around to walk back to the kitchen. He didn’t know what he felt. He didn’t know what he should do next. “Wait!” she calls. Phillip’s steps are shaken up by the sound of her voice. He feels like him trembling for the first time ever in his life. Maybe this is also the first time he feels scared. He didn’t like the way it feels. He never feels guilt in life before but right now, all these nasty feelings seem to come to him all at once. He pulls all the strength he has in his body to turn back around to look at her. “Yes?” He asks with a little bit of trembling voice, but no one could ever sense his fear. “Would you mind taking this plate away with you?” she asks. 

      At that very moment, a huge pang of relief fills every inch of his body and soul. He’s safe. No one ever knew his secret. Will this woman be a threat to him? Right now, at this very moment, he can only think of grabbing the plate and walk away as far as possible from her. 

**************************************************