Chapter 4: Too sweet?

"Ahem!"

I literally jump from the bed as I turn to see where the voice came from.

Standing in front of me was a tall and fairly muscular man, as that was all I could make out from the shadow due to night lamp.

I stare wide-eyed, panic replacing my drowsiness.

I was so shocked, I held my mouth open and my mind couldn't seem to form any word, let alone sentences.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my room?" He asked, staring at me and went to switch on the lights.

With the sudden intense brightness filling the room, I rapidly blinked my eyes to adjust to it. He really was very tall and had blond hair.

I don't know what made me do it, but suddenly I sat up straighter. It probably was because of this vibe he was giving out...how do I put it into words... very dominating...

"Your room?" Was all I could get out from my silly mouth.

"Yes, this is Room 2124. What's yours?" His voice was now laced with a hint of irritation.

"Room 2124? Mine is.... Umm... 2024!" I said a little too loudly after realizing my mistake. I ran my hand through my hair, only then realizing I didn't have my hijab on. Panicking, I turned my head left and right to look for it. I quickly took it from the side table and wrapped it around.

"Are you a Muslim?" He asked.

I'm pretty sure I could sense a kind of disgust in his voice and expression, but it disappeared before I could put a finger on it.

"Umm... Yes." I said nodding my head. Then I continued on with, "I'm really sorry, this is all just a big mistake on my part. I'll leave. Thank you." I said as I gathered all my stuff and as I was about to leave I heard him say,
"Wait, umm... could you please pick up my pen from under the bed? The space is too narrow for my hands to reach and I can't wait till tomorrow."

"Umm, sure why not?" I said, awkwardly.

"It fell in here somewhere." he said pointing at an area just below bed adjacent to the side table.

I pushed my hands beneath the bed and moved it side to side, hoping to feel for the pen. I think I did it for about 3 minutes and still couldn't find anything.

Meanwhile, he went to the bathroom for I don't know what reason.

I heard a smashing sound from the bathroom.

I stood up and called out, "Is everything okay in there?"

He came to the room with his right hand covering the left wrist.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I went to look for something inside and I accidentally broke a perfume bottle and it cut my wrist."

"Let me see it."

He removed his hand to show me a cut with blood oozing out of it.

"Shall I clean it for you?" I asked, concerned

He looked at me for a while, then handed out his left wrist to me.

"Is there a first aid kit in here?"

"Yes, it's in the cabinet in the bathroom."

I rushed to the bathroom and brought the kit to the room. I cleaned his wound, which luckily it was quite superficial but long, and then wrapped it using a gauze piece.

He kept staring at me the whole time and suddenly I started feeling very uncomfortable.

"Done." I said with a smile. As I looked up, I saw he had very beautiful, green eyes. My mind screamed 'haraam' and I quickly averted my gaze, everything around seemingly becoming more interesting than his face.

"Thank you!" He replied politely.

I smiled.

Then as I was about to get up from the bed, he asks, "What's your name?"

I look up and say, "Ameerah."

"I'm Mark." He says and brings forward his hand.

I hesistate. "Umm... I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend you, but I don't shake hands with the opposite gender because of my beliefs."

"Oh!" He says and pulls back his hand. "Never?"

"Well, we believe that touching a person of the opposite gender who isn't related to you is only allowed if someone requires medical assistance or is in any other life threatening situation."

His mouth forms an 'O'. After a while he asks me,"How old are you?"

"23"

"Married?"

"No!" I say jerking my head up, surprised by his question.

"So boyfriend, huh?"

"No, I don't believe in relationships before marriage. That's all." I say, trying to read his expression.

Okay I think now is my cue to leave.

As I'm about to stand up, I hear him say yet again,
"Could you do me one last favor before you leave?"

"Umm, I wouldn't mind to, but it's just getting pretty late I guess. I don't even know the time."

"It won't take long. I wouldn't ask you to, but I really need it done before tomorrow and I'm unable to do it. Please?" He says with a pleading expression.

"Umm okay, what is it?"

"Could you sew my shirt's button? I really need it tomorrow and I've tried to fix it but I couldn't. "

"Okay?" I say, kind of taken aback. He didn't look like someone who'd be in trouble just because a one shirt. Something about him screamed "richness" to me.

He went to his closet and after sometime returned with the shirt in one hand and a button in the other.

"Here, take this, it's this one here that needs repairing." He said pointing at the second button from the top.

"I need some thread and a needle."

"I'll get it." And he went inside the bathroom again to get a complementary sewing kit.

I took it from him and started threading the needle.

"You know, this is probably the first time I've used the complementary first aid kit and sewing kit in a hotel. I always used to wonder if anyone really uses it." I said with a chuckle.

"Well then, you should thank me for honoring thee with this opportunity!"

"Thee? Really? And now you're switching to archaic English?" I say with a chuckle.

"la mia bella signora, anything to make thee smile!"

"Italian?"

"What can I say! I'm English with some Italian blood as well. So it's in my genes to flirt when I see a pretty lady!"

If it weren't for my skin color, he'd probably see me red with embarrassment right now. Luckily, hopefully, he won't notice.

"It's all thanks to the layers of makeup I have on. You know, it's just a single button and I'm so busy with all this chitchat that I can't even concentrate! It's not like everyday that I repair buttons!" I say with a chuckle.

"But you are beautiful." He says, not removing his gaze from me for even a second.

There go all my efforts flushed down the drain to change the topic.

"Thank you. You're beautiful too." I say and then suddenly realize what I just blurted.
"I meant you seem nice! As in, your character is beautiful!" I say, trying to cover up my mistake.

But it's too late. He's already got a smirk playing on his lips.