What is this?

Society in this universe is deeply impacted by a technology named rejuvenation which can transform people into a younger age—i

Society in this universe is deeply impacted by a technology named rejuvenation which can transform people into a younger age—i.e. a means for age regression. For technical reasons it is only possible to make a person younger, not older. The so-called puberty barrier is another limitation to the technology: it means that the target age can not be older than about 12 years.

So all 'rejuves' come out as preteen children. They will have all the memories of an adult, but will tend to have the judgment, emotional needs and reactions of a child their physical age. For this reason, all 'rejuves' are legally treated as children and placed under the supervision of responsible adults. The age of majority in the setting is 21, this is coupled with both the Kensington treatment which is administered to everyone when they are 8 years old (or as soon as they are rejuved if they start older), it then blocks fertility until the counter-agent is applied, and the Fujikawa treatment that slows down the physical and sexual maturation process, which results in girls getting their first periods around fifteen or sixteen. Boys' voices won't change until high school.

In this universe all children are raised much more strictly than is the case in most of the world at present — spankings and other punishments are very common for all types of children. Some types of children, particularly Penitatas, are subject to much more frequent and severe punishment than others.