31

"Ten-year reunion."

Colton read the little card he had gotten in the mailbox with a heavy sigh.

It had been ten years since they had graduated from high school and moved on. Ten years since they had seen anyone from that school.

And now, in two days, it was their reunion.

Mira wasn't going to want to come, he knew that much.

He didn't really wanna go, either.

Not because he hated school. He had both good and bad memories. Obviously, everyone remembered him as the guy who went around beating people up and yelling at the ones that deserved it — it was within good reason, anyway.

Sure, he'd mellowed out now but that anger — that ill-temper and the reputation that went along with it, would always hang over him. It would always be a part of him, too.

It was buried deep within him.

Even Mira was afraid of him, at first. She never said it but, all those years ago and even when they first met again, he could see it in her eyes and the way she tip-toed around him.

Besides, the last thing he wanted was to be reminded of everything that had happened during that time.

And he sure as hell didn't want to remind Mira of all the shit that she went through then.

Even though the subject matter was a heavy one, just thinking about Mira brought a silly smile to his face — one that he hadn't had since he was a teenager first in love.

She had kissed him on the cheek the other day, too. And like a kid, he had gotten overly excited and shocked about it.

He wanted to lean in and kiss her cheek.

No, actually.

He wanted to lean over and kiss her tempting lips.

But he wanted things to go at her own pace.

In any case, he liked to think she was starting to open up. Things were slow, but it was still something.

It was still progress, and it made him happier than he already was. Every night as he slept, just the thought of her being in the other room and under the same roof as him, made him giddy.

She was his, finally.

Maybe not completely but they were getting there.

He didn't want to force her to do anything, just being around her was enough but...he had to admit.

Sometimes there was that feeling that hit him.

That sinful male urge.

Seeing her made him want to kiss her and show her how much he loved her without just relying on words.

But he didn't want to scare her off.

And now, with this reunion, he wondered if they would go back to square one.

Would she shut off and push him away again?

Colton really didn't want that.

"What is it?"

He turned to see Mira emerging from her room and into the dining room where he was seated. As she walked over, he casually placed the card down and put his arms over it in a subtle manner, hoping to cover it.

She stood next to him and peered into his laptop, unaware that her arm was pressing up against his own.

Colton didn't want to move away. The little touch was enough for him to stop breathing.